Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nosing Angle Nelson Stud Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicFarmer

Structural
May 2, 2017
CA
Good afternoon,

I am in the process of reviewing some drawings for a bridge abutment repair/rehab. The front edge of the abutment back wall has a steel nosing angle, which attaches to the concrete via alternating (vertical/horizontal) nelson studs.

Does anyone know of a design criteria for such a detail? Minimum/maximum stud length, spacing, diameter etc...? Should a nosing bar run longitudinally through the space created by alternating stud directions?

Technically the nosing isn't loaded, with the exception, perhaps, of a vehicle braking force.

I am just wondering what the procedure is when one would include a nosing angle on say, stairs, retaining walls, bridge abutments, etc.

Thank you in advance,
MF

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've seen plenty of joints with headed studs but to tell you the truth I doubt anyone every designed the stud spacing. We always follow the appropriate DOT standards. Attached is a link to the NYSDOT armored joint drawings. 5/8" dia x 1 1/4" long studs at 2'-0".

Link

There might be something in the LRFD spec about design loads, if you're inclined to try to design the joint.

Like bridgebuster, I've seen quite few of these. We've detailed several in our office here, but never even thought about trying to run any calcs on it. We just used what's been used successfully in the past. I suspect that's how they came to be sized as they are - seeing what worked and what failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back