Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Not enough work to keep me busy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDGroup

Mechanical
May 22, 2007
US
I have been with my current company for about 6 months now, and there is almost no work for me to do most days. We design custom accessories that interface with phones/radios/... I am the only Mech E, so I handle all of the external components, but most of the work is the internal electronics and circuitry. When I was hired, they had lists of projects to get done, and were considering moving production in-house that I would organize and run; but none of that has happened. So, a few questions:

1) Any suggestions on projects/tasks I can initiate to keep me busy. I have already cleaned up and organized all of the existing CAD files; and can't really come up with anything else beneficial to do to pass the time.

2) How long should I stick around to see if things get better? I definitely am not learning/improving at this point, and don't want to go years without gaining new skills, knowledge, or experience. I like all of the people I work with, the work conditions are fine, salary is fine, and they are very satisfied with my work; but it makes for some really long days. How long to wait before looking for something else?

3) Do I approach the owner and tell him I have nothing to do; or just continue to do what I do, and see if things turn around.

Misc Background:
I am a ME with 12 years experience
The company I am working for only has 8 employees.
We are financially sound, so I am not very concerned about losing my job or the company going under.
I do not regret the decision to leave my previous job for this one, but was hoping for a bit more.

Thanks for any input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is there a reason you can't learn some of the electronics side? Start with asking to help or even just shadow the guys doing PCB design.

Or, review some of the manufacturing processes that your suppliers use and redesign product enclosures to save money. Make a CNC'ed part suitable for injection molding, make an injection molded part suitable for vacuum forming.

Certainly I'd think you should ask the boss if he has anything for you to work on.

Do you have any ideas of your own that you could suggest?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Regarding question number 3 in your post above, the answer is a resounding [bold]NO[/bold]. Do NOT tell your boss/owner/president that you are bored and have nothing to do, ever. This can only lead to bad things. Quietly ask if anyone there could use an extra hand or needs assistance that you could provide, but don't let anyone know that you're bored or have run out of work. You may find yourself jobless in short order.

Maui

In a couple of companies I've been with, PCBs and cables were under the ME department; the EEs would generate the pin and wire lists, but the MEs would do the mechanical design of the cables and boards.

Thermal analysis might be a good branch to pick up; it's also portable to other companies.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Thanks for the feedback.

I have been reading as many trade magazines as I can to keep learning some stuff and to keep current. I might order Solid Professor and just go thru all of the SolidWorks lessons to see if I can pick up anything.

The best idea is probably to start learning some of the electronics side. Although I am not very interested in that stuff, it would be good to know at least the basics of what they are doing and get an understanding of why they use certain parts and components.

Thanks.

You could also volunteer to get out and help the company with their marketing and promotion efforts. Meet some customers, develop some new ones, offer some ideas to help solve their problems. The skills and confidence you will develop in that whole process will be useful no matter where you go in life. Many engineers have a built-in resistance to what they see as "shmoozing". If you do, then just don't approach it that way. Be a problem solver.

Did they completely scrap the idea of moving production in house or has it been side tracked due to other more important obligations? I would start evaluating all aspects of what it will take to bring production in house and present it to the leadership. This could also include making some trips to suppliers and vendors where you will learn new processes and technology.

Definitely, as others have mentioned - expand what you do. One way or another. Maybe even consider changing to another industry. As far as not being worried about your job, because they are financially sound with 8 employees - if there's nothing for you to do...trust me...it's only a matter of time! If I were in your shoes, I'd FIND something - within or without.

Hi MDGroup,

The advice given above is good; you should see your situation as one of being presented with opportunities, which, if you capitalize on them, can further your career.

Andries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back