Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not to Scale dimensions: To underline or to not underline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian D

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2019
US
We routinely create drawings for hydraulic hoses and a few other parts that are shown as broken parts. No sense in a to scale 100+ inch hose drawing, I guess.

The question has arisen: do we underline the broken dim or not? In Solid Edge you can dimension a broken view and the dim will update if the part changes but the text is not underlined. To get the dim text underlined we have to tell the dim it is nts. That adds the line but breaks the dim. That dim will no longer update if the part changes. The program allows you to change it back to a to-scale dim and then back to nts but they have had issues with that being done. The drawing will then not match the part, which will now be made incorrectly.

So, to ASME Y14.5-2009 1.7.9 (a): Where the sole authority for the product definition is a hard-copy original drawing prepared...on an interactive computer graphics system, and it is not feasible to update the pictorial view of the feature, the defining dimension is to be underlined with a straight thick line.

What we're trying to define is "not feasible to update the pictorial view". If it's done on a pc, why would it not be able to be updated? Since we can, technically, update the view (even though it stays as a broken view) are we covered to not underline the dim text?

The only figure I could find in Y14.5 that shows a broken, nts view is 1-55 (in 14.5) which is actually for repetitive features and dims. It happens to show a part that is nts and the dim text is not underlined. This further proves (to me, anyway) that just because a dim is nts does not mean that it has to be underlined.

What do y'all typically see where you work?

Thanks - Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Because some people don't understand (or know) the standards; and also we save drawings as PDFs, therefor various versions having problems showing if the dim is underlined or with a strike-thru,
we do not show underline dim's anymore. Our vendors and customers are happy with this.

Chris, CSWP
SolidWorks '17
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

I am not familiar with Solid Edge, but in SolidWorks there is an option to break the dimension line together with broken view, so there is no need to mark dim as NTS.
Is there such option in Solid Edge?

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

Talking through this with some of the guys who actually use the program (due to your screen name I'm hesitant to tell you what I do [smile]) there does not seem to be a way to accomplish this in SE.

ctopher: That (pdfs not printing correctly) is a problem we are familiar with, as well.

I don't know if Fig. 1-55 should be called "not to scale." There is a difference between scaling a picture and simply chopping out some of the picture. So is the dimension really "scaled"?

John-Paul Belanger
Certified Sr. GD&T Professional
Geometric Learning Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back