Notched Beam Bearing Design Failure Modes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyB_

Structural
Feb 1, 2022
US
Hello -

I am designing a notched W-beam that is bearing on a large W-girder. The notched beam, as shown in the attachment, is not carrying a very large load. Based on my review I have analyzed the shear and moment of the reduced section due to the notch. I have included a web stiffener even though the web buckling calculations did not require one.

I have reviewed multiple threads previously about this issue but I couldn't come to a clear conclusion on all of the failure modes that should be analyzed. Are there additional failure modes that I am overlooking? My detail and design calcs are attached for clarification.

Thanks in advance.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5278e32e-7f70-4530-b41b-0111e28fa0d8&file=Notched_Beam_Bearing_Design.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've typically required a curved cut at the re-entrant corner.

Beam_ha64cp.jpg

I believe you are missing some checks on the development of the reinforcing back into the web. There are some other things in Design Guide 2 that are intended for reinforced WF web openings, but might be worth looking at for this notch scenario for similar applicability. Fillet weld symbol is backwards.

The stiffener on the W14 makes sense to me as it precludes rotation out of plane. Is a W8 impossible here to avoid all the cutting and welding?

Radius at the cut, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back