Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NOx Emissions from Ammonia Flares

Status
Not open for further replies.

bw1055

Chemical
Feb 6, 2017
US
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of a source for an emission factor for the formation of NOx from the operation of a NH3 flare. The stream to be flared is natural gas diluted with ammonia at various concentrations (from 10-100%). In searching this forum, and elsewhere (Zeeco's website), I have read that NOx emissions from NH3 flares can vary from de minimis to 1 mol of NH3 produces 1 mol of NOx. I was wondering if anyone knew of a flare study or other data that could answer this question.

These are the two sources of data I have found so far and they contradict one another:

Thank you in advance for any information provided!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where do you see a contradiction between your two links? You're burning NH3 to a mixture of NOx and water,. Unless you're doing some form of selective catalytic oxidation, 1 mol of NH3 produces 1 mol of NOx plus whatever little bit of NOx you get from the combustion air.

Matt

Matt, the third poster stated: "and don't listen to the environmental types telling you about NOx. there might be some but not much."

Since I originally posted my question, I found an article by J. O. L Wendt and C.V. Sternling from November 1974. They were testing ammonia fuels burned in a bench scale meeker burner. Their study concluded that NH3 to NOx was a strong function of excess air and that at stoichiometric and sub-stoichiometric air-fuel ratios, all the NH3 pyrolized forming mostly N2 and little NOx.

I am guessing that for flares (especially those that are air and steam assisted), the tendency would be to have plenty of excess oxygen, leading to significant NOx formation.

Sorry for the delay in replying. You're right, I made the implicit assumption that any flare is a diffusion flame, not premixed, and designed to give destruction of the material fed to it.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back