Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NOx reaction in a coke fired reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaman2

Chemical
Jun 19, 2006
US
I have recently been tasked with evaluating NOx (actually NOCl which would form from NOx and Cl2 if present) in our stack gas. We have had a few minor Cl2 excursions, but do not normally detect any NOx in our stack gasses.
We have a to stage process. in the second toluene is burned as a energy source, and excess O2 is present from oxidation air, so NOx should be formed.
The resultant gasses from this reactor,(about 60% Cl2, the rest CO, CO2, O2, N2 etc) are then recycled back to the first stage which is a fluidised bed of coke, silica and ore at about 1000 degrees C . There is no excess O2 from this reaction. In fact, aside from being the heat source, the purpose of using the coke is to scavage the oxygen released from the oxides in the ore.
I have nearly finished my report, which concludes that any NOx formed in the second stage reactor is stripped of its oxygen component in the fluidised bed. I am however having trouble finding direct literature to support my conclusions. I am looking for sources describing the catalytic effects of the coke (carbon) in dissociating the NOx molecule, in addition to the effects of the carbon combining with the oxygen preventing the reformation of the NOx.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

Edd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks 7anoter4

On my way to look at it now.

Edd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back