Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NOx reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmet

Materials
Jul 18, 2005
CA
I am wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge on the low temperature oxidation of NO to N2O5. The technology is trademarked as LoTOx.

I have looked at SNCR and SCR in the past and found a lot of material in journals and online. However, with LoTOx I seem to be hitting a dead end.

I am looking for information relating to disadvantages or limitations with the system. Is ozone too expensive? Is it limited by the NOx levels entering the unit?

The best information I have is done by BOC.

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our site is looking into the LoTox Technology for NOx reduction. Our NOx is generated both by HNO3 manufacturing and an HNO3 oxidation of organics.
The site currently uses thermal and modified SCR, both very expensive to operate.

I called the person responsible for the evaluation and was told that he has take a position in technical sales, smart move. The person filling in didn't know anything as he hasn't done his own evaluation, they didn't seem too enthusiastic about the new project.

You might want to checkout this source.

You can use hydrogen peroxide for low temperature oxidation of NO[sub]x[/sub] to nitric acid. The reaction in aqueous solution is
HNO[sub]2[/sub] + H[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub] -> HNO[sub]3[/sub] + H[sub]2[/sub]O

The hydrogen peroxide can be added directly to nitric acid pickling solutions to prevent the escape of the nasty reddish NO[sub]x[/sub] fumes, plus it regenerates some nitric.
Or, it can be used on cooled flue gases, as nitric is more easily scrubbed than NO[sub]x[/sub].

The limitation is that hydrogen peroxide has a relatively short life (self-decomposes) above about 50[sup]o[/sup]C.

The LoTOx system I was looking at was ozone and not hydrogen peroxide, although I'm sure there are different types.

I am curious as to why I have not seen more information on LTO. In our application now we have fairly low NOx already and we do not need a wet scrubber, so I would suspect that a system such as SNCR would work best for us. But I am having trouble convincing people without any information on LTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back