Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nozzle API Tank 650

Status
Not open for further replies.

garciaf

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2016
NI
Here is my issued.
Please Help me. I appreciate your time.
The Contractor install a nozzle in a different angle than normal, normally is perpendicular to the shell, but this nozzle has a different angle so I don´t know if this installation is ok.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

garciaf,
We will need more information to help you.
(1) What do you mean by "different angle"?

(2) Can you provide a photograph?

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

garciaf,

Tank nozzles do not necessarily need to be perpendicular to the shell, i.e., the nozzle centreline does not always need to intersect the tank centreline. Was that the design intent here?

Thank you for your reply.

In the left image you have the normally installation that I have seen, but there were some modifications in tanks (New Nozzles) that the installation of this nozzle is different.

something that I need to add the last time was according with the reinforce plate of the nozzle, when is installed perpendicular to the shell in other words 90 degrees, the reinforce plate is circular, but the new nozzle were installed in a different angle as you can see in the image, what I want to know is that reinforce place is going to be circular also or not.

API 650 said something about this.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2a88abe3-6be2-4b5f-bff1-38654aaa94f0&file=3.JPG
This nozzle is NOT unusual and normally not a problem.
Some people call them a "Hill-Side" Nozzle and some people call them a "Tangential" Nozzle.

Re: the Reinforcing Plate: It will most likely be Elliptical.

Thanks, for your answer.

But, How Can I dimension the elliptical reinforcement of the hillside nozzle.
And other question.

What would happened if the contractor did the reinforcement plate circular instead of elliptical in the hillside nozzle.

Thank you so much.

Draw the ellipse and detail it for the shop. If they have CNC, just send them the CAD file. Make the repad wider as the hole gets wider. Follow the neck-to-shell and neck-to-repad gaps as shown in API 650.

garciaf,
Something I think you should share with us:
- Your background?
- What are your qualifications (for doing what you are trying to do)?
- Where is this project?
- What is the size of this Nozzle?
- What is the thickness of the tank wall plate where this nozzle is positioned?
- What is the dimension above grade/Tank bottom is the center line of this nozzle?
- What is the Operating Pressure and Temperature of the Fluid inside this tank?

It's important.

Good night
Pennpier
I´m an engeneer, I worked in construction.
Rigth now I´m working in other area.
The tank was built, but later coming other modifications. I saw the Nozzle in field.
The size of the nozzle is 20 inches.
Wall tickness is 5/16"
elevation of 600 mm
atmospheric pressure and is going to be Keresone.
The tank is cone fixed roof with internal floating roof.

garciaf,
So you are not doing the design yourself, it was just something you saw in the field and you were curious. If so why did you not say so in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back