Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nozzle at Cone End

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsaku100

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2010
ES
Hello,

I have a nozzle at hopper(Cone end) facing bottom. Does WRC 107/297 is applicable to check the nozzle loads. If not how to proceed further

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

WRC-107 (and 297 with further restrictions) in part applies to cylindrical attachments to the surface of spherical and cylindrical shells. But your nozzle attaches to the end of the cone (which really makes it a "cylinder" for structural analysis purposes even it is a "nozzle" for process design). There is a big difference in the load distributions of these two situations.

In the first case you are loading only a small portion of the surface of the shell. This results in through-thickness bending, etc. The WRC bulletins provide for this type of analysis.

In the second case you are loading the entire circular cross-section of the cone with resulting longitudinal stresses due to axial load and bending moments, and some shear loads. This case is actually treated quite simply. You have a beam (or a beam-column) of circular cross-section. You can find the stress by elementary formalas like M/S (bending moment / section modulus), P/A (axial load on "column" / cross-sectional area), etc.

We have 16 major SS pressure vessels with conical heads designed for 500 psig @ 700°F with jackets designed for 125 psig @ 700°F. These vessels are 49" in diameter and 60" to the cone head junction. The conical section is jacketed and is penetrated by 3 nozzles, one 4" at cone apex and two 3" on the sides of the cone on 24" centers.
The vessels were designed in 40's and 50's and have been in cyclic service since. All the calculations for these vessels were done Sect VIII Div 1. They have been verified many times over the years.

I'll call tomorrow to see if I can get the calculation format as I know right where they are located if the records people haven't tossed them.

TomBarsh
The weldneck vessel/head flange was the first calculation done when we got Compress. There was some question as to the hub length.

Back when I first got into this business one of my first "exciting assignments" was to perform the type of analysis per the OP. I did it very much as TomBarsh described, just as a fairly simple strength of materials problem. I had not been out of college too long, that kind of stuff was still fresh. Not sure I could follow my own method now days:)

Regards,

Mike

Are you referring to a nozzle that IS the small end of a cone? If so, then I take back what I said earlier - and what TomBarsh said is correct.

I thought that you might have been talking about a conical shell, with a nozzle IN the conical shell, that is oriented parallel to (but offset from) the axis of rotation of the conical shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back