Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NPFA 30 - Tank Mounted Dispensers Acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVAmeche

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2015
US
I haven't dealt with a ton of fuel tank systems, but I thought NFPA 30 had restrictions on allowing direct tank mounted dispenser/pump system. System I'm looking at involves two tanks, one diesel and one gasoline, each with a tank mounted dispensing system.

After quickly skimming NFPA, it mentions locating the unit from property lines and buildings but I didn't see anything jump out at me that you can't do it.

Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're not using the correct standard. If the aboveground storage tank installation is for motor vehicle fuel dispensing, the design should be based on NFPA 30A.

Sorry, but NFPA 30A appears to be the same - it has requirements for location but I don't see anything about issues with tank-mounted dispensers.

Review Chapter 6. Nothing in the provisions prohibit the installation of a dispenser on top of the AST so long as it meets all of the NFPA 30A Chapter 4 provisions. Note that Section 4.3.6 only allows for openings at the top of the AST.

Section 6.3.4 doesn't require require a remote dispenser or an island - it simply states an island can be used for the protection of the dispenser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back