Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NPSHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh2008

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2008
CA
Hi all,

I have a couple pumping questions below.

Is it necessary to check the available net positive suction head for a submerible pump that is designed to run dry?

Is vapour pressure only a function of temperature? What about elevation? I have been working on pumps for underground applications but I have a hard time determining liquid vapour pressure and atmospheric pressure underground.

I'm working on another project pumping fuel, and its difficult to find specifications on engineering data. Is there any "bible" literature of liquids that contains engineering data only? (eg specific heat, vapour pressures, sg, etc)

Thanks,
J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Vapor pressure can be determined based on a function of temperature.

Chemical Engineer's Handbook

What kind of fuel? Fuel oil? Diesel?

Unless its hot gasoline, or butane, propanes etc. you'll likely not have too many problems.

A pump running dry is not the same as a pump running with low pressure fluid, under NPSHR and ... cavitating. In your situation it may be preferrable to run dry and reach shutoff temperature, rather than continue to run wet and below NPSHR. Check with your pump mfgr.

"I am sure it can be done. I've seen it on the internet." BigInch's favorite client.

"Being GREEN isn't easy." Kermit[frog]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back