Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nuclear Gage Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

geotechman1

Geotechnical
Apr 21, 2007
US
My brother works for a geotechnical/testing lab. he has been using the nuclear gage for almost a year, but from what I have learned their health and safety program at their company is none existance. He had not been issued a badge that they need to wear which indicates the level of their exposure till just a few days ago. He has been told to carry the equipment in his personal vehicle since his training. I am worried about his health specially since he has developed rashes all over his body that the doctors can not find a cure for so far. I am asking for your help, please let me know if he has been exposed to any radation and if there is any relation between his condition and a posiible exposure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, radiation damage is cumulative. Stop storing the gauge in any space close to you. If you live in the Rocky Mountains or have a high radon count the safe available exposure is lessened because of the background radiation. A series of dental x-rays or chest x-rays also add to the total. The soil lab can transfer duties to concrete testing,(cement poisoning safety should be practiced), or to the lab till the rash is gone.

While I agree with civilperson, it should be noted that properly maintained gauges are very very safe. The gauge should not be stored in an area where people work and should be transported as far from the driver (and passengers) as possible.

Given the general lack of regaurd for employee safety and training, your brother should find a different employeer as soon as possible before things get much worse.

I have only heard of one field staff whose badge showed a reading (this was way back in 1975) - why? He sat his badge on the nuclear gage when off work. We had a gage in India and the lads wanted to wear lead aprons!! I went once when they were using it and "looked about" - etc. then, quickly moved a couple of feet away - they local lads all ran for their lives!! It was a hoot. As GeoPaveTraffic says, if properly maintained (including a yearly leak test), they are safe - they stopped requiring badges in Canada a long time back although I could see them bringing them back (if not already done) to give people a sense of security. If you think your brother had rad poisoning, I am sure that the doctors could determine if this was really so.

When I received my safety training several years ago the instructor told us that there was no reason to complain about radiation, now my moho has gone, Bad joke, sorry.

Seriously speaking, the company sholud told your brother something about an "ALARA program, As Low is Reasonably Achievable" this is a group of measures in order to reduce radiation exposure, and involves three factors, distance, exposure time and shielding, since shielding (dense covers to absorve radiation) is not practical for personnel working with gages on field, technicians sholud be trained to reduce the effects of exposure by reducing the time that they are close to the equipment and maintaing themselves to distances up to 3 feet. In fact, this measures should be indicated within the operator's manual of the device that he is using.

It is true that background radiation is quite diferent from site to site, however, it is my undertanding and personnel expirience that exposure levels when working with a gage are lower than those absorved when a x-ray is taken from your teeths. US Nuclear Regulatory Commision has established a maximum limit for radiation exposure per year and it has been established that exposure due to work with these devices, based on a properly operation a normal shift, is about 25 times lower than this dosis.

In order to clarify this assesment the instructor performed some calcuations, and the conclusion was that a technician must be exposed 24 hrs a day during 240 day to reach the maximum allowed dosis which is about 10 times lower than a daeadly dosis, of course a leak of radiactive material obiously can cause several injuries to people exposed to this material. It is true that leak test should be yearly performed. However,leaks can be determined base on a periodically survey with a geiger-muller meter, unusual readings on the gaiger-muller indicate that something it is not right, if leak is suspected the gage should be removed from service and additional tests performed or device should be sent to manufacturer.

These devices have been used since 1970's and has improved a lot since then, if they represent a serious risk for human healt I'm pretty sure that agencies have not been aloud them firstly.

It is also true that some people are more sensitive than others to radiation effects, nevertheless, I understand that first effects of an exessive dosis can be identified by measuring the blood levels and also some other synthoms typically exhibited, Have your brother told the doctor that he is exposed to radiation and the level of exposure?, if doctor has not been able to determine if the rashes are consequence of the exposure, may be it is time to look up for another doctor.

As civilpersons said, tell your brother that perform another duties within the company, however, I believe that this change of duties should not last until rash has gone, I'll said that he should perform another activities until it will be determined if he is higly sensitive to radiation or gage leak has been discarded. If rash is consequence of radiation exposure it should dissapered after exposure is end.

He should ask to see the results on his radiation badge report? He could also ask to see the results of the last leak test on the gauge and ask when the next leak test is scheduled for.

I know of a gauge that fell out of the back of a pick up truck (gauge was not in box) on a state highway and was then run over by semi. This pretty much totaled the gauge but it never no leaked. Those things are pretty tough.

I was just certified by my company about a week ago for the Nuclear Density gauges and I happen to have my Radiation saftey booklet right here, so if you need answers let me know. Troxler gauges are what we use in our office. Most of our offices, not all, but most don't use the badges at all. One reason for that is when they send off the badges to get tested, if they show a high exposure number they are required to come out and test for a leak in the gauge. If you leave the badge in the gauge case, in direct sunlight or any other place were radiation is a possibility the badge will read that. The first thing I read that kinda raise an eyebrow was that you said he carries the gauge in the cab with him, if thats true, was it in its case or not, if not the potential for increased radiation exposure is highly likely.....its standard protocol at our company to have the gauge in the rear of the vehicle, with at least two points(chains and locks) of security . BUT if the gauge is well maintained and stored properly, you have nothing to really worry about, you're more likely to receive more radiation in regular daily living. So its really hard to tell, unless there is more to this than you know or you've told us. -Stephen

I also heard that microwave ovens have more radiation emitting from them than densometers.
I thinks the rash might be coming from sources OUTSIDE work.

Microwave ovens give off electomatic energy, not nuculer energy (radiation). Not saying what the problem is, but the two types of energy are completely different.

You may indeed be correct geopave. A quick look on the internet says that microwave do have radiation, and I do remember seeing the radioactive sticker on the back of one in the old days.
But since I have no direct knowledge on microwave, I can't say either way. I was just stating a comment a co-worker made after taking an exhaustive course on densometers.

I just thought of something, does your brother happen to do landfill work? If so, there's a good possibility he could have contacted something while doing density test in the that area.....if so...I would seek medical attention ASAP and get as much info as you can about what he's been working around....if not then go to the doc anyway. It's no fun being sick....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back