Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nuclear Plant Piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

annguyen

Mechanical
May 22, 2001
US
Hello all,

Does anybody know how many miles of pipe in an average nuclear plant? What is the cost of piping compare to other components? Do you know any references for that type of inforamtion.

Thanks,

An Nguyen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) no. It depends on the size and design of a plant and the particular layout the architect-engineer followed.
2) relatively the same, though piping is cheaper because there is less manufacturing cost
3) for item 2, I would try manufacturer's cataglogs.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

I can tell you a commercial reactor plant has much more piping than say a A-4W aircraft carrier plant, and many times more than a S6G submarine reactor plant. When it comes to operation no one cares about much more than loop transient times, heatup and cooldown rates, and loop volumes.

Actual pipe lengths and exact layout also depend on the specific plant. I can tell you first hand that the 688 class submarines each are a little different, even while maintaining almost identical operational characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back