Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nuetralization of Nickel Catalyst Fines

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshep

Chemical
Feb 3, 2003
US
My Friends,

We have a nickel catalyzed fixed bed hydrogenation reactor that removes aromatics in a detergent alcohol plant. Nickel fines come off the reactor and catalyze the dehydrogenation of alcohols to aldehydes in the final product fractionation, and to a lesser extent continue to do so while product stands in the supply chain. This is a problem due to tight carbonyl specs. The approach we have currently taken is to try and "wash" the final product towers to remove fines when the problem gets too bad. The catalyst vendor was pretty confident the fines were just a once off problem with a batch of catalyst, but we just changed out by loading and activating per vendor recommnedation and still have a problem.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest a way to render these fines inert as part of the washing process so that there would be less of a problem with any residual catalyst fines that stay on the packing- i.e. would probably continue our washing and rinsing mitigation, but also include a nuetralization agent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

best wishes,
sshep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back