Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Number of Turns to Open/Close a Gate Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDermott1711

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2010
SG
Recently, I was reading thread164-168796 ( In that thread, "bimr", with reference to AWWA, said that number of turns equals NPS times 3 plus 2 or 3. But I saw in AWWA M44-96, Fig. 3-1, that for 6" valve number of turns is 26. Actually, with numbers in the table, number of turns is NPS times 3 + 10. Am i right?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To hear the guys in the field tell it, the number is 26,000 turns for a 6-inch, but I think they exaggerate.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

From what I've seen in our system, it's like bimr quoted, size x 3 + 2 or 3 (give or take).

Every 6 inch I've ever closed has been 18-22 turns.

The multiplier depends on what you're standing in at the time. In 4' of shi* or 2' of gasoline 23 might easily seem like 23,000.

What would you be doing, if you knew that you could not fail?

The 3x+2 or 3 works for most modern valves
exceptions
some older valves (50+ years) have a shallower thread pitch, 4x or 5x
also some older valves operate as a left hand
gate valves mounted sideways will also have a gearbox, this is to overcome the crud that must be pushed out of the way instead of just crushed, I know of 24" 1960 era valves with 158 turns, and when they have not been operated for 20 years take three men an hour to exercise

Hydrae

I have seen large size gates take up to half an hour with a motorized operator. these were 72" rectangular, rising stem gates. there was a lot of operating torque, requiring significant gear reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back