Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 10 Drafting - Live dimensions on counterbores

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerLew89

Aerospace
Mar 28, 2011
US
Hello!

So myself and co-workers typically dimension counterbore'd holes by taking a section view and calling out the CB diameter and depth from here. Another way we do it occasionally is dimensioning the center hole normal to the surface it is on and adding text below the dimension to indicate the counterbore diameter and depth. The problem with this second method is that the text we add below the dimension is not "live". If the part updates, the CB dimensions don't. I have had parts come in wrong before due to this error.

Is there a way to have the CB dimensions be actually tied to the part while still being part of the original hole call out? Or, is there a smarter way to do this all-together?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take a look at the video below paying attention to how I created the Drafting dimensions on the side view of the model. Note that while the video starts out dealing with how to dfine a hole, that second part of the video deals with creating Drafting dimensions. And while my example was a threaded hole, you should be able to do the same thing with a counter-bored hole:

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Thanks for the reply and the nice video.

I think there are two issues at play here.

One thing I can't use in drafting is the hole callout feature. This is, I think, because our drawings are not made in the part file. They are specific drawing files. We add the part we are drafting as a component to the drawing file. Selecting hole callout does not allow me to select anything on the part itself.

Another possible issue is that not all of our holes are defined using the hole tool. Some/most are but some are defined using cylinders that are subtracted from the part body. This is especially true when modeling holes on cylindrical faces. We typically model a cylinder and subtract from the body. Will features like this still be able to be called out this way?

If the simple answer is that we must use the hole tool going forward I don't think that will be hard to change.

Not a complete solution to the big picture, but I have had decent luck using Datum CSYS planes for cylindrical Hole placement faces and using the point within the Datum CSYS when needed. You might see if you have any luck with that route, Tyler.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back