Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 5.0 buttons and graphics speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JycoCAD

Automotive
Mar 10, 2010
US
Two part question-is there anyway to remove the middle mouse button from being an "enter" key? I use the same button to rotate and I end up pushing "ok" for things i dont want.

second question is-is there any options or tips for speeding up NX when you flip between visible and non-visible (ctl+shift+b)? I came from Catia and i am used to "no show"ing things with ease. But when i flip back and forth on NX, it has to rebuild the entire model. The bigger models take a couple minutes...lots of time lost.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check your mouse driver. You should be able to set the action of any and all of the buttons.

As for the second issue, I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at. You can selectively Hide and Show objects using several different approaches and actions, and starting with NX 5.0, we introduced the dedicated 'Hide and Show' function where you can change the display of objects (either Showing or Hiding) based on their class or type very easily. And in NX 6.0 we introduced 'Immediate Hide' so now you can Hide objects even faster without having to even acknowledge your selections. Also object visibility can be controlled using the appropriate Navigator options.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I still need to use the middle mouse button, but i was hoping there was a mouse options under preferences somewhere, where i could turn that feature off. If i cant, then i guess i cant.

The second issue: Its not so "easily" hide and show. If i switch from space "a" to space "b", it rebuilds the display ...takes forever. Catia you can switch back and forth between the two spaces almost instantly. I was wondering if there was a trick to fix this. Again, if i cant i cant.

Are you working in a modeling 3D shaded view or on a Drawing?

Note that some of the methods I mentioned, such as using the Navigators or the combined 'Hide and Show' function, does NOT require that you change the entire display in order to change the visiblity of objects.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

As for the middle mouse button, unless you purchase a Spaceball (you can get a new one for around $60 or so) you will just need to be a little more careful with your gestures. The MB2 'Entry' is a simple push and release while the 'Rotate' is a push, hold and move your mouse.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

JycoCAD,

As far as ur 1st question, you need to replace the mouse, because we had faced the same problem and finally we had to go for new mouse.

Can you let us know by importing the same assembly that you are talking about into Catia and let us know the performance. I still prfer NX way of handling Hide/Unhide (Blank/unblank). Using wireframe mode may increase the performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back