Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 6.0 5-axis Cylinder Head Porting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dturner40

Automotive
Oct 21, 2008
US
Anybody here have any experience with cylinder head porting using NX6 CAM?

I have done 3-axis machining in NX, but our current process for creating 5-Axis simultaneous toolpath for cylinder head porting involves moving to another software package for toolpath generation. I would love to get this moved into NX as well. I have only started trying to dive into this and was wondering if anybody had any tips for the CAM setup in NX or maybe knew of a sample file/tutorial that would speed up the learning curve a little.

If you are not familiar with Cylinder Porting techniques, it would basically involve the following video(machining the ID surfaces).

Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On NX6 I've done some deep shrouded impellers (similar approach as the video) using Streamline with Tool Axis Interpolate to drive the path with pretty good results.

--
Bill

I have messed around with this some more the past week or so. I can get some toolpath, but it isn't correct. I can't seem to get everything defined properly to get the tool to drive through the port opening.

Anybody familiar with NX training? They have a course on advanced machining which covers 5-axis machining. It probably doesn't have an exact tutorial on what I am doing, but for $200 it probably can help me understand a lot more of the NX multi-axis terms/options.

I attached a sample part that I am trying to machine. Tool is around 7" long with a 1/2" ball and tapers to a 3/4" shank and is in a shrink fit holder. Tool must enter on the side with the flange and cut as deep as possible.

Anybody with any thoughts, I am listening. :)

Don't have internet and NX at the same time these days...
See the attached edited pic. So... (from memory): Surface Contour - Streamline. Select the horizontal closed curves as Cross - The verticals as Flow. While there select the start direction of the cutter.
Then, Projection vector - toward drive.
Tool axis - Interpolate.
You'll see a few arrows. You can add more to help control the tool as it's going down. You select then edit each ones vector to control the tool axis as it gets to those points.

--
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back