Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX 64 bit and 32 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty7

Jul 27, 2004
GB
We're looking round using NX as a 64 bit app. There are a couple of bits of info around this that I just wanted to esablish as either fact or urban legend.
1. If you open a 1 mb part created in NX 32bit on a 64-bit app and save it, it grows to 10mb or more
2. Can 32 bit NX open a part created or modified on 64 bit NX?
Thanks for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And here's a couple of 'bits' back.

1) NO

2) YES

The only caveat with #2 is that if while working in 64bit you were to create a part file, be it a piece part or an assembly, which required more than the maximum amount of memory which can be addressed by a 32bit system, that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to open that part on anything other than a 64bit system. But as long as the part does not require more memory than what can be accessed by a 32bit system, then you should be OK sharing files between 32bit and 64bit versions of NX as long as they are at the same rev level.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Just to chip in, we flexibly use the same NX6 parts and assemblies on both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows XP Pro systems and haven't seen any problems in doing so.

Ok I have gotta ask. Is there still problems in NX CAM regarding 64bit systems. I have heard in the post there is. We are currently on the path to go 64bit and I am always trying to stay ahead of the problems we will encounter if I hear there might be a problem. Thanks

My 5 cents worth...
We have been running NX 64 bit for several years and have had no CAM or post problems due to the 64 bit architecture. Have had NX 5, 6 & 7 on Vista and now NX 7 on Win 7.

------
Cheers
Steve Griffiths :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back