Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 7.5 Any way to places views of a model at different time-stamps on drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorenolepi

Aerospace
Jan 22, 2009
US
I think I know the answer = no..... but just wondering is there any way to places views of a model at different time-stamps on drawing or into an assembly? Kinda like reference sets but with time stamps of the same body?

Currently the only way I found to do this to take extracted bodies and place them into different ref sets but this makes my models very large.

Example of what I'm looking for =
1) extrude a block
2) trim top of block
3) trim side of block
4) Create drawing with master model being the block
5) Place view of block, block with top trimmed and block with both top/side trimmed

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BTW, it's the extracted bodies and the not the Reference Sets which is making your part file larger. It can't really be helped since you need the individual bodies in the model in order to see them all at once on a Drawing.

That being said, an alternative would be to perform WAVE extractions thus having the extracted bodies each in their own separate Part file. This will reduce the size of any one Part file, however the sum-of-the-parts will be greater than if they were all in the same file. You would of course then have to bring the various Parts together into a single Drawing file, either by creating an Assembly and controlling which 'Components' are seen in which view or else each Part has to added to the Drawing as it's own 'Base View'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I realized that the extracted bodies are making my file huge and not the ref sets, but this situation also causes for a large number or reference sets. It would be nice if I could have the option of time stamp along with ref sets and arrangements when choosing how to display my components .
ER = 6707275

Lorenolepi,
You could create a JPEG of each timestamp and insert into a drawing using "Insert -> Image".
We use this to place our products on an informative wall chart for quick reference.
It is not associative but you can get what you want.

Hope this helps.

Current version: NX 7.5

The description of the question along with the note "aerospace" on your signature, hints me in the direction that you want to document each manufacturing operation - and possibly run manufacturing on the "individual features".
What i have been discussing with aerospace companies regarding this is to have a "process assembly" in which each operation is a component.
The model is then linked from component to component and new features are added in each step / part.
Each component then has / can have it's own drawing part, manufacturing part, measuring spec etc etc ( In case one would like to add all models to a single drawing that is possible.)

The benefit of this is that only the relevant features exists in each part. Each "step" can be individually revised. If an operation fails, only that part is affected, -the links can be remapped into a replacement part. It is fairly simple to manage for the user. ( compared to trying to navigate/ set up an equal number of reference sets which isn't that fun.)

Regards,
Tomas

Tomas,
Good read... that is exactly what I'm doing . We actually implemented the technique you mentioned first but we ran into issues with releasing the individual operation files (we use teamcenter and only have the basic wave license). So lets say when you have 10 ops and all are released but then you need to rev the 3rd op... the assy file wants to update the linked bodies that come after it (4,5,6,7,8,9.10) that are not modifiable = caused some big problems. Currently we are doing everything in one main file...linking in the original matl file (casting, forging etc...) and then linking the blueprint file sketches. We then perform our first cut on the wavelinked matl body and then extract that body for each op and place each extracted body in its own individual reference set. Then we just insert the main file into individual operation files at that particular op's reference set. This allows us to release the individual operation files and manufacturing files without any problems. It would just be nice if we didn't have to create all of these extracted bodies and just be able to show the model at a particular time stamp so that would we could just continue to make cuts on one single wavelinked body...it could be just another display control like reference sets/arrangements. It would also cut down on file size big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back