Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[NX 7.5] Editing Custom Symbols Inside Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljbutler

Aerospace
Nov 20, 2013
US
So I've just figured out how to create and use Custom Symbols inside NX 7.5 Drafting. Even better, I got it working almost for a flagnote perfectly. Scaling, leaders, flexible text, and all that jazz.

However, the way I was able to get a leader on the Symbol was to put it inside a Note and use that leader. The problem with this is that you aren't able to edit the text block of the flagnote any longer. Below are a couple images that I hope illustrate that.

CustomSymbolWindow_ftcpxa.png
_____
Note_Window_egawew.png

(Left: Standalone Symbole with editable text, Right: Symbol Inside Note with leader text not editable)

I'm sure there's a better way to get leaders on Custom Symbols, right? Preferably one that works with internal notes properly.

Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Logan, Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

In response to your inquiry about Symbol Fonts,

The Symbol font are captured under the same directory as your local UGII folder, but only when running native NX. Here you will find ug_default.sbf.

However when NX is accessed through Teamcenter the location of the sbf files are dictated by the Environment variable "UGII_SYMBOL_LIBRARY_DIR"

This sends NX to a location on the company servers and you unfortunately cant modify this without Admin rights.

In order to resolve this issue for you we have taken the initiative and created a new flagnote file which you can access through the utility directory Scaled.sbf.

This will allow you to bring in flagnotes at the correct scale without the need to input 1.5.

Here are a few points about symbol fonts:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In order to create a symbol font it must be unassociative lines and arcs.

You can add to an sbf file via FILE - UTILITIES - SYMBOL FONTS

You can create a new sbf by savin ug_default.sbf as a different name(ug_default.sbf is read only)

From here you can update symbols on your drawing or create new symbols or even modify the proportions as we have done on the Scaled.sbf

We have had issues with engineers in the past who have complained that flagnotes were different proportions. This is an issue with symbols being referenced from different sbf files, such as FLAGNOTE1.sbf and FLAGNOTE2.sbf

Using FILE - UTILITIES - SYMBOL FONTS "update symbols in part with SBF" you can correct this issue. Bare in mind if your symbols are already 1.5 it will increase the size of your current flagnotes to be too large.

If you want to correct this we advise you set any current flagnote to a 1.0 scale and update all in part per FILE - UTILITIES - SYMBOL FONTS.

Otherwise for all new drawings the Scaled.sbf will be adequate.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Logan and feel free to contact us for further assistance.

We usually have two different objects. The Flag note symbol and note leader. Then we use the associate origin button to attach to the dimensions with X Y offsets.

Theses may be two different issues.
1. Symbol font aka where you access your flagnotes from the utility directory.

2. Custom Symbols, which will reside with you, not our servers.

Custom Symbols can be accessed in the same way by going to Note - text input - symbols - category - custom symbol once they are created.

If this is what you are trying to accomplish, this is not a company wide issue, however to control the flagnote leader:

Insert - Symbol - Define Custom Symbol

Under Symbol Attributes is Leader Attachment

Select left leader and select on your symbol where you want the leader to connect with the symbol should the leader end up on the left side

Repeat for the right side

Dont forget to set an anchor point, many prefer the center of your symbol.

We ARE talking about Custom Symbols, not User Defined Symbols. What I'm talking about is editing the text of a Custom Symbol that's inside a Note object.

If you give me some time, I can produce a few more pictures to help illustrate what I'm saying. Though, I think I've figured out a pseudo-solution to the original problem I was asking about.

After re-reading your request I regret that NX is aware of the issue and NX 7.5 has not yet implemented a way to communicate in that way between the Custom symbol library and the annotation editor.

The preferred solution is to locate it as needed, which can be rather time consuming.

It is recommended that at this time you take advantage of the noted solution above and use Scaled.sbf to create future flagnotes until you are working with a version that offers your specifics.

Gotcha. I think it'll be ok because I believe we're going to a system where that won't be an issue. A little work on the front end, but it should be nicer in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back