NX 7.5 experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryitagain

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2008
US
Hi UG users,
after installing 7.5, migrating from NX5, a few weeks ago, and desperately trying to get used to it, I finally come to the conclusion that this is another step backward. more and more mouse clicks are needed to accomplish my work. New icon arrangement is not necessarily an improvement. Years ago UG was advertising to have less mouse clicks in the newer versions, today the software works vice versa. Maybe in a few years UG will dig out this target again and then there will be a whole lot to improve and the old advertising comes back alive.
this new version takes away even more flexibility as it did already.
There seems to be a huge chance, to be with NX 10 competitive with the drawing board.

It is actually unacceptable that an user cant do his work in a way he is used to especially when it comes to parametric. Not much people have the luxury to invest all that time and therefore money for thinking about parametric. all the thinking has to go into the project.

How is everybody elses experince?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tryitagain,

I felt the same way when I started using NX8 after being in 5 for so long. It took some time getting used to the new icons and other functions, but now I like the improvements. Especially the sketcher. Never really used it much and now I'm a convert.

I would say to give your self more time.

"It is actually unacceptable that an user cant do his work in a way he is used to especially when it comes to parametric. Not much people have the luxury to invest all that time and therefore money for thinking about parametric. all the thinking has to go into the project."

ALWAYS start with a thought out plan for constructing your model!
If you use a paramatric CAD system, they don't respond well to hacks and cuts to make a 2" cube from a 4" one. Think about the features you need and how they relate before you start designing in NX and you will see that is goes easier.
As for changes between versions, you need to give it some time and maybe invest in some training. Training should not be looked at as an expense, most companies do, but as an investment in the productivity of their employee.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

My opinion on this topic is that what might seem like more mouse clicks for a function is actually a reduction overall.

For example, in the past creating feature holes meant a new feature for each hole. Now it's one feature, and if you use the auto dimensioning when sketching the hole points, it's quicker.

Training and time to get used to it are the key though.

I've spoken to a number of customers recently and the general consensus is that NX7.5 has been the best release of NX yet.

Anthony Galante
Technical Resource Coordinator

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.4.4, Beta NX8.0.0.25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back