Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 7.5: Hole center line glitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerLew89

Aerospace
Mar 28, 2011
US
Hey,

So I recently have started using the NX hole tool. For years I have been using the pre-NX5 hole tool but love the functionality of the updated tool much more. The issue I am having with it is in drafting.

At my job we use a lot of helicoils so most of my holes are made using the hole tool as "inch helical coil". While drafting, I'll add my centerlines, add my dimensions, and be happy with it. The problem happens whenever I go back into the solid model and alter ANYTHING on the part. I will change the size of an edge blend or chamfer and now ALL of my hole centerlines are out of date and their associated dimensions. It is easy enough to re-associate them but it does waste a lot of time. It doesn't matter what I change and 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the hole.

Is there a reason this is happening? To create the hole locations I tend to use points placed via curves or sketches (old habit).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you checked with GTAC on this issue? Since you're using what is basically an obsolete version of NX, it's very possible that this has been fixed in one of the FOUR subsequent versions of NX that have been released since NX 7.5.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I have not checked with them. Other coworkers have not had this issue so my thoughts are that it has to do with my creation method of the hole itself. I just haven't gotten around to troubleshooting and was wondering if anyone knew of this issue

Could you provide a simple example part/drawing where you're experiencing this problem?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back