Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorenolepi

Aerospace
Jan 22, 2009
US
So I saw that NX 8 is avaible for download from the GTAC site...
Any input? Any bugs? Should we give it some time??
Whats different/enhanced from 7.5.4.4??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to the GTAC document site and from there you can download a copy of the NX 8.0 'What's New' guide which will cover all of the enhancements included in this release.

As for using it now, well I'm sure that there a 'bugs' in it (that's sort of the nature of software, whether we like it or not) but so far I've not heard of any 'show-stoppers' making it into the final product but I'll be the first to admit that it is early, however the software has gone through extensive testing or we would not have released it.

As for waiting, for what I assume you were alluding to mean the first maintenance release, that's several months away, but of course if there actually ARE any 'show-stoppers' discovered before then I'm sure that we would be sending out patches, so it's really up-to-you whether you wait or jump in now. Of course you could just install a couple of seats and start testing it 'on-the-side' and then as you verify it's 'fitness for intended use' you could start mainstreaming it.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

So just read the whats new docs and this is what I got out of... (havn't gone through all of the CAM stuff)
NX 8
Attributes can now be other formats besides strings!!

CGM export = best fit will do both polylines and text = before symbols or the text could look funny

Sketch = can have negative dimensions instead of alternate solutions, Patterns, Patterns ,Patterns…Group Group Group

Constraint Navigator = Constraints now have their own navigator for better organization of constraints

Make Unique = Like a save as but only changes the selected components instead of all of the similar components in the assy. This is huge!

Reopening Modified parts = can opt to reload the saved versions of the assy

Linked Bodies = will take symbolic threads!!!!!!

Synchronize Links = Updates links rather than controlling it through load options…I think

Drafting Title Block =design title block from multiple tabular notes and it becomes a single title block!!!!

Borders and Zones = Thinking this will replace Patterns that have been giving errors in NX 7.5 64 bit with the section line default.

Tabular notes = preferences can be set prior to laying them down
A
lignment = you can suppress stacking alignments
Drafting Plus = new drawing templates style…Regions = really cool ….Note region, rev region, title block region, with priority…Say what!!!!

Teamcenter integration:
Save as to a specification to other master model / rev (could only back door this before)
Faster Load times
Drawing Booklet

As far as I know it's not compatible with 8.1 but it is compatible with 8.3. We will be setting up our test server with 8.3 in the upcoming weeks, so check back and I will let you know how it works out.

Just FYI from a software developer... there is support for creating protected / locked attributes as well as a somewhat modernized GRIP programming language called SNAP (Simple NX Application Programming). From what I've heard, it will require an additional license.

Marc
NX Software Developer

I had so many bugs in my first week using NX8 that I decided to stop using it until the maintenance release.

It varies from Journal programs that no longer work to more major problems like the stress wizard fiving incorrect results.

I am mainly upset because my journal files don't work anymore. Seems like I need a license to use my own software now? Thats really stupid.

Other problems are related to the settings file seems to get corrupted all the time. Standard parts does not want to save and error messages suggests that it is an operating system issue. That is according to the support anyway. At the same time it worked fine in NX7.5, however NX8 instalation corrupted something.

So this is yet to be fixed?

That is my experience. My advice is that if you want to stay efficient stick to NX7.5

@Rattletrap: Will you share what about Journalling was broken for you in NX8? I shared a Journal-related problem over in this thread: thread561-307382 , but it turned out that I was missing a system prerequisite (.Net 4)

One other thing: if you stop using it then who will report all those bugs, so that the rest of us can get a nice stable program at MP1 / MR1 ?

Whenever a new release comes you have to weigh the benefits to you and your company as to when to move to it. The early users are sometimes hindered by bugs that slipped through the beta testing. What is a benefit to Siemens and other customers is and must be secondary to being productive to your company.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

There's a caveat in the Release Notes with respect to replaying Journals:

"In addition, to replay a .NET journal, the .NET Framework 4 must be installed."

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

@potrero, I have .net ver 4.

Problem seems to be that it wants an authoring license. I am still waiting for our support guy to let me know what might be wrong. It works on NX7.5 not on NX8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back