Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX CAM 9.0 New Feature question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnJunkie360

Aerospace
Jul 30, 2013
US
In NX 9.0 there's the new multi part programming feature.

On one side of a Horizontal Tombstone I have multiple of the same parts.
Program one part, Paste to the other parts with associativity to first...
All is well.

But is there a way for on another face of the tombstone, to have the second operations to all those parts be connected to the first op?
Meaning, The parts on face 2 are all IPW's from the first face? And any changes to the operations on face1 be reflected on the underside
of parts on face2?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you using IPW flow?
I talked to the Product Manager, and he would like to see your setup.
Please log a call with GTAC so that we can look at your part.

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success
Siemens PLM Software

IPW Flow?
If I'm just programming a single part, like in vises.
I program the top side, then new MCS spun around "and usually moved to tooling surfaces for ease of setup" , to Program the bottom,
That works fine, for the IPW being cut properly from one op to another.

Is that what you mean by IPW Flow?

In this case "tombstone" Where I cant just spin an MCS and program the underside
" as the cutters would be going through the tombstone"

I end up having a whole new set of parts, placed upside down on the other cube faces.
Problem there is that NX doesn't know the bottom of those op2 parts has been cut, its still using a full block as the IPW.

Simplest case of this would be a planning of "Dovetail blocks on face1, cut majority of part on face2, cut off dovetail on face3"
What I've done there most of the time, is Modelling the dovetail into the stock so that the main op " Face 2"
doesn't think that there's material below the dovetail fixture that needs to be cut, and for verify to look correct.
Not so easy when its not just a dovetail "ie modelling a half roughed part as the stock for the next ops"

About your submit to GTAC comment. I'm not that deep into this program so I can do that in a couple days when I get farther into it, and tidy some things up in it.

IPW Flow was introduced in NX 8.5 to transfer the IPW (In Process Workpiece) from one workpiece to another if i.e. multiple components are mounted in a setup.
This works within or across setups.
In your setup, when you define the blank for the parts on the other side of the tombstone, use IPW instead of auto block or modeled blank geometry.
You can then select the source of the IPW from the workpiece of the first operation. The 'Update Local IPW from Source' will then transfer it to the right location as per assembly transformation.
The prerequisite is that the part geometry is coming from the same assembly component (this is met I guess since you're using copy / paste with reference) and each one has its own workpiece group.

Oliver Sing
Product Manager
Mfg Engineering

Siemens Industry Sector
Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back