Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX CAM, Hole milling with helical/spiral, floor not cleared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it is not already there, I'm guessing that would be an Enhancement Request (ER) with Gtac

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

In NX11 there is an option for Cleanup Passes when using Helical / Spiral. Cutting Parameters

Don't have NX10 anymore

John Joyce
Manufacturing Engineer

NX 11 & 12.01 Vericut 8.0.3

If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses

- Henry Ford

I do not have version 10 but in 12.0.2 there is a Cleanup Passes option in Cutting Parameters - Strategy tab dialog.
Perhaps 10 has it; try looking there.

Image_4_helmu2.png

NX 12.0.2
NX 1872 in testing
EVP's

@Tyngsryd
Sadly it only applies at the end of spiral, but not at the beginning.
Is there no other strategy where it would be possible? I cant imagine NX does not have this Option.

NX 10.0.3.5 (NX13420N)
TC 11.2.3

@paperappl

I see what you are talking about. I tried many different strategies in v12 and could not get rid of the cusp of material in the center using large radial stepovers. However if the radial stepover is small and the helix is minimal then there is enough overlap to clean up the center area like you require. Realistically do you need large radial stepovers? The industry trend for roughing is small radial stepovers and high feed rates as in peel milling applications. The second image is a contour area operation in v12 with spiral stepover and it leaves no cusp but I don't think you can do that in v10.

Image_3_ismh3n.png

Image_4_dyf7so.png

If you absolutely need the large stepovers you are showing in the picture then I recommend contacting GTAC to find out if this is working as designed or is a bug. If it is working as designed then you can submit an Enhancement Request for cusp cleanup.

NX 12.0.2
NX 1872 in testing
EVP's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back