Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX Flat pattern generation discontinuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beng021228

Mechanical
Apr 10, 2012
US
This is a very rare occurrence, but every once in a while, we will create a flat pattern out of NX Sheet metal (NX 10, currently), that will have discontinuities in the profile of the part. Our nesting software is unable to cope with these discontinuities without manipulating the flat pattern manually to close the gaps, or trim intersections. The operator then points out these issues, and sure enough if we zoom in on the flat pattern view within NX, we see the issue. Is there a setting in NX that can force the end points of curves in a flat pattern to be precisely closed? The nesting software that has issues is SIGMA Nest and Omniwin, but since we can see the issue within NX, I would rather we be able to solve it before we send the flat pattern to the nesters. Has anyone else ran across this issue?

Our flat pattern generation process is take a model, not necessarily modeled in sheet metal, create a drawing and make a dummy solid representing what will be cut, then convert that into sheet metal and add a flat pattern feature to it, then export the flat pattern.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When this happens, I'd suggest running the "examine geometry" command to check that the body is OK. If is checks out, try sending the file to GTAC; perhaps this is a bug that they need to fix.

As a work-around, I'd try creating a flat solid (rather than a flat pattern) of the part then extracting the edges of the resulting flat solid to see if there are any gaps.

www.nxjournaling.com

In response to Cowski: We make flat patterns of flat and formed parts, and in this case the issue was with an already flat part, the solid model doesn't have any apparent problems. We brought this issue up with the company that we get support from and they said that it was not an issue, despite it being an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back