Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX freezes with borrow license

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pella30

Automotive
Jun 23, 2009
US
Ref. thread561-469033

Anybody know if this was fixed or not? Just upgraded from NX11 to 1919 this week and it's even worse than before.
I work remote with a borrowed license as I'm also working directly with a customer. Searching internet today I came across a Siemens doc with fixed issues that referenced "freeze or pause" 12 times... [URL unfurl="true"]https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/docs/nx/1884/en_US/sc3D2019_2/Fixed_Problem_Reports.htm[/url]

Does my company need a new license file issued?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Reading the linked "Fixed Problem Reports"
in this Siemens have addressed the freezing in NX 1884 ( see first column for which version the problem is addressed)
I would doubt that it has to do with the license file, rather the NX version and possibly the license server version. ( each new NX version normally comes with a new version of Flex LM)

Check with GTAC.

Regards,
Tomas

Hi @Pella30!

As @Toost said, this was reported fixed in 1884 and you said you are using NX 1919, so you should not be seeing the issue you pointed to nor would the issue be with your license file.

However, there is one possible relation to your license file. It used to be that the "borrow" feature was added to license files only upon customer request. It now is automatically added to all license files (and customers who don't want their users using it can comment it out). I think this started around NX 12.

But it sounds like you do have borrowing enabled and it would be very odd for you to end up with a license where you would not. So would not worry about a new licnese.

For the issue you referenced, there is also an FAQ on GTAC for this that provides additional info, so you can further confirm:

The other thing I wonder, since you mention you just came off NX 11: have you mixed-matched the version of the borrow utility? Here is the wording from the Releease Notes:

<---

NX Borrowing is version specific

NX license borrowing is version specific due to dependencies within the third party licensing software used by Siemens PLM Software. To ensure that NX works on a borrowed license, you should always utilize the borrow tool supplied with that NX version. For example, a license borrowed using the NX 1847 borrowing tool will work for NX 1847 but cannot be used to run NX 12. In addition, you cannot borrow licenses for two NX versions simultaneously on the same workstation.

--->

So if you had borrowed the NX 11 license, then upgraded, that could cause a problem (of course, you also could not run NX 1919 with an NX 11 license, I assume, but depends what you had in that license file).

A final thought, but harder to help you track down: related to above "mixing" case - could have had a borrow left from NX 11 that did not release, before you pulling a new one with NX 1919 (even if you used the NX 1919 lictool to do the borrow)?

I was helping test some Borrow functionality a few years back and when I was finished, I forgot to let the borrow release, so it left itself "stuck in my registry". When I was later running various NX releases for other testing, my NX would sometimes freeze or do things like take 5 minutes to appear when I launched it. I tried a bunch of things that did not help and finally tracked it back and had to clean the stuff out of my registry.

A final comment, that might help as well is a recent newsletter from GTAC (as you can imagine, running remotely, including Borrow has been a hot topic this year and GTAC and others (including me) have been writing a lot of docs on such topics):

There is also a slightly longer Word Doc version of this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back