Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX Inspection (CMM) for Brown and Sharpe machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui_Sun

Industrial
Oct 24, 2017
US
Hi All,

We are looking for adding some offline programming software seats for our CMM machines (all hexagon machines. brown and sharpe, dea). Since we are currently NX users for CAD, we are interested in NX Inspection. It seems like a relative new product in NX product family.

My plan is to get a seat of CMM software, a post processor, and a 3D model of the CMM machine for simulation, just like how we set it up for NX CAM. I wonder is there anyone who have experience with NX CMM could share how they fell about the software?

I looked into NX help for inspection programming. It looks like post processor setup is just like NX CAM. Simulation kit is the same as NX Simulation. However, I think we need to create our own machine setup template for our CMM machines not being in the default templates. I reached out to hexagon and asked for 3D models of the CMM machines. I had a very hard time getting any 3D models. My job is more on machining side. Is this just how "CMM world" works? How do you guys get away from simulation without manufacturer providing 3D models?

One most interesting point we see from NX CMM is being able to translate PMI into inspection features and inspection programs. However, the rules of this transformation is predefined in NX somehow. Is there anyway one can customize these rules ourselves? Something like feature based machining author for machining? Is there any kind of authoring capability for NX inspection?

Thank you for your input.

Regards,
Rui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back