NX Nastran Multi-cores and Hyper Threading [UPDATE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRogers1987

Aerospace
Feb 20, 2014
US
thread561-357474
This was a very useful discussion, but unfortunately (as is the nature of all things centered around computing technology) I think most if not all of the conclusions are now out of date. For example I believe the ILP-64 solver is now the default in newer versions of Nastran (starting somewhere around v12 I believe, but please correct me if I am wrong there).

In light of that I would greatly appreciate a refresh of this discussion and its recommendations!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For an SNP environment, is parallel processing used by default if multiple cores are available? If 'yes', what is the default maximum number of cores used?

If 'no', is it appropriate to put the parallel=p execution keyword in your config file if you have a typical number of cores you would like used? And is there any limits on how many cores Nastran can realistically make use of?

Dear Mr Rogers,
I remember posting in the theread561 ... many years ago!!!.
Actually one thing remains: Intel hyperthreading OFF, of course!!.
regarding parallel processing, is OFF by default, if you don't include the nastran keyword parallel=xx then the nastran solver will use only ONE CPU.
Then I suggest to edit the nastran.rcf file located at C:\Program Files\Siemens\Femap 2022.1\nastran\conf directory and include the line:

PARALLEL=xx

being "xx" the number of cores of your CPU, without hyperthreading activated, OK?.

Or alternatively includes the number of cores of your CPU to use in the calculation when defining the study in FEMAP in the NASTRAN EXECUTIVE & SOLUTION OPTIONS:

nastran-parallell_ao9wgs.png

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.