Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX optimized wizard vs goal seek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan25

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2010
US
I am using NX6. I was wondering the difference between NX Optimization Wizard and goal seek. Both seem to do similar tasks. I noticed Optimization Wizard you can enter constraints (while Goal Seek you would need to use a penalty term most likely). But what is the separation criteria?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, age may be a consideration...

Goal Seek (I assume that you're talking about that which is found in the Spreadsheet function) is a much older function and while it's still fully supported and very effective, the Optimization function is much newer with a more modern interface and as as being better integrated.

For example, while Goal Seek is limited to using only Expressions, Optimization can also leverage KF objects as well as direct access to geometric aspects of the model. Also the 'solver' used in Optimization is based on modern and more powerful algorithms with more options available to the user for controlling how the solution is calculated.

Now they do both share the limitation the these are processes which the user has to launch himself (although I suspect that perhaps Optimization may have some NX Open support) and are not actually part of the model's behavior.

Now while we are talking about NX 6.0 here, I should point out that starting with NX 7.5 we have added an additional and more general tool using what some refer to as an Engineering Spreadsheet or 'Math Engine' supplied by a company named Maplesoft (the product name is Maple). In NX 7.5 we are providing an integrated interface to Maple (the interface is provided as an NX enhancement, but you will need to acquire the Maple software and license directly from Maplesoft). The big difference here is that when using Maple actual features are created which are imbedded into the NX model and which will update when the NX model updates (as long as you have Maple installed on the system when you do the update). Now I have not yet attempted to use Maple to perform something like an 'optimization' but it does have a very broad set of capabilities and anyone looking to do more complex problem solving and you're running NX 7.5, you give it serious consideration.

For more information about Maple and Maplesoft, go to:

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back