Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX part file size for simple part 17MB after cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nham

Mechanical
Mar 20, 2013
FI
Hello,

I ran into a stange problem. It seems that in some cases NX part size grows while the part itself has been simplified by user.
In Nx7.5 I have a part that was imported to a NX template part from a solidworks translator. After examining the part in NX and simplifying it I thought that by saving it the part size would drop. Still 17MB. After part cleanup, optimize face, history free mode and all things that I can think of doing to the part -->still 17MB.

This part was interesting enough to open in NX9 and I did the same there. Size dropped to 11MB but still unusually large for one solid body.
I then opened a blank modeling part and copied the body there and saved my new part. Part size dropped to 560kb!!!

I repeated this in NX7.5 and got the same result. I then destroyed the entire body and made sure that there are no data in any empty groups, no reference sets having invisible data.
Empty part size is 10,1MB!!!

Any advice how to list and destroy the garbage in this part? No geometry visible but obviously something is there. This is also something that should be doable in managed mode also.

This is obviously a problem when normal teamcenter users when they do not see their part sizes at all. Any options to analyze a mass of parts and search this kind of behaviour from tc volume?

Replacing parts in TC is also no small task. If it would turn out that there are several (thousand) could need this treatment.

Cheers
NH

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Been there. done that. Ug_inspect utility shows all kinds of parasolid and other stuff that should have been deleted with part simplification.
Will turn to Gtac next week with this. Solutios from uganswer are not encouraging either. ”no can do *shrug*” and part cleanup stuff plus lightweight data which does not exist
in this part cause it was amongs the first things I deleted from Assemblies-->advanced-->representations.

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back