Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX reference only VS teamcenter bom excluded occurrence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nham

Mechanical
Mar 20, 2013
FI
Hello,

I copied this to a new post as this went off topic where it first was posted.

There is a small thing to consider when using TC and NX. Especially with classic multisite.

While NX reference only is a great feature, it does have it's downsides as well. Especially when used with teamcenter and multisited material. My experience is that while reference only hides the specified bomline from teamcenter BOM it also therefore makes this bomline invisible to teamcenter plmxml export and multisite exports. Locical but frustrating. To an nx user it is easy and logical to use reference only From cad. Other not so logical option is to use TCbom row exclusion attribute (occurrence) or if the entire item is never meant to be a part of a bom then use item attribute that says in all cases exclude item and not just occurrence from bom. This is not logical for an NX user to jump to TC in the middle of modelwork to specify occurrence information in structure navigator and get back to his model. (editing a bvr as cad model is open creates interesting complications and so on for inexperienced users that do not know better.)

John and other experienced guys, do you see other options? Workarounds? Problem is created in NX so solution has to be available as well. Unless there is a magical trick to have reference only items appear in TC tables :)I suspect that I am not alone with NX and multisite in this universe:)

Using reference only is handy but when sending data to other teamcenter sites these reference only items are not visible to tc at all. Therefore they do not get exported via other normal bomlines. Only from receiving end NX users will there be feedback when not all models reach their destination. This creates a challenge for administering multisite data. Currently we are in mixed mode situation with both occurrence and reference-only geometry. So taking out either of the options is not an option.

Now we are thinking a nimimal user interaction ugopen program that will take all reference only parts from chosen assembly and all child levels and copy them in teamcenter navigator and a folder. Then replicate the contents to the other site. There are also challenges in doing this teamcenter navigator has only a fraction of functionaliti compared to real TC client and some features are not accessible easily.

Problem is only replicating items forst time. Then sync will take of the rest. How to know you need to have something replicate because it is only viewable within NX part itself and not TC?

If one of you fellow eng tippers have a solution that you utilize I'm all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back