Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX/TC environment creates "Item" instead of "CAD"

Status
Not open for further replies.

someonedflr

Automotive
Jan 14, 2014
US
Good Morning,

I'm having an issue creating parts from NX teamcenter. I'm not really sure if I changed some setup options or why is this happening, but now everytime that I create a New Model/Assy/Drawing, or any data from NX it creates it automatically as an "Item", not as "CAD" type... I need to change it back ASAP hehe... I already tried with a fresh install of teamcenter, but didn't work... does anyone out there know how I can achieve changing the parameter so I can create "CAD" again?

Thanks in advance!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=04f4e2c3-c8fe-4c5e-8ae1-cd1a0166d33c&file=img1.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The default item type in the File->New menu is controlled by the pax files in either your template folder in the install directory or wherever you may have them placed if using a more customized install.

The file will look like this:

<PaletteEntry id="d1">
<References/>
<Presentation name="A - Drawing" description="NX Example, 2 Sheets">
<PreviewImage type="UGPart" location="@DB/A-drawing-template/A"/>
</Presentation>
<ObjectData class="DrawingTemplate">
<TemplateFileType>none</TemplateFileType>
<Filename>@DB/A-drawing-template/A</Filename>
<Units>English</Units>
<UsesMasterModel>Yes</UsesMasterModel>
<ItemType>Item</ItemType>
<RelationType>specification</RelationType>
</ObjectData>
</PaletteEntry>

Just modify the ItemType line to the correct name of the item type you need and it should work. The pax files for teamcenter start with nxdm_.

Daniel Sikes
Design Engineer
Young Touchstone
NX 8.0.3.4

Hi DSikes,

Thank you for taking the time to respond!. Now I have the problem solved, but we had to format the computer and reinstall TC and NX... Anyway, I checked my pax file and it looks exactly like yours, and it works fine (creates CAD files). But now I raised another doubt... If the pax file is the one controling the Item Type, and I have it like yours, <ItemType>Item</ItemType>; why now it is creating CAD types normally, despite of the pax files says Item?

<PaletteEntry id="d1">
<References/>
<Presentation name="A - Drawing" description="NX Example, 2 Sheets">
<PreviewImage type="UGPart" location="@DB/A-drawing-template/A"/>
</Presentation>
<ObjectData class="DrawingTemplate">
<TemplateFileType>none</TemplateFileType>
<Filename>@DB/A-drawing-template/A</Filename>
<Units>English</Units>
<UsesMasterModel>Yes</UsesMasterModel>
[highlight]<ItemType>Item</ItemType>[/highlight]
<RelationType>specification</RelationType>
</ObjectData>
</PaletteEntry>

Is there a problem when customizing the pax files in order to create new templates? I mean as far as I know, I need to add a new PaletteEntry id to the pax file in order to create new templates, so, if I add some new Palette Entries in the pax file, does it messes up with the ItemType of the old (unmodified) Palette Entries?...

Thank you!

Not sure why it's creating the intended item type even though it's set to a different one. Is there another pax file that it may be pulling from that has it set that maybe it couldn't find previously? That's where I'd start looking.

Daniel Sikes
Design Engineer
Young Touchstone
NX 8.0.3.4

I think I figured out... A while ago, I created an environment variable called "UGII_TEMPLATE_DIR = <path>" pointing to "...UGII/templates". I was trying to set up customized templates for the company drawings, but the pax files that are located in my installation folder "UGII/templates" are set as default as <ItemType>Item</ItemType>. So, that's why when I have this variable activated, the pax files that rule how the new data is created, create Items instead of CAD... because the pax files say so... and once that this environment variable is deleted, the template directory doesn't point out anymore to "UGII/templates", and creates CAD data... so, as you say, I guess that there is another pax file that it is using. I don't know

So, to summarize, I screwed it by setting the variable to edit the pax files without having enough expertise to know that I could modify the Item type from there as well... I know it now, won't happen again...

Just wanted to leave the answer in case someone else need it hehe...

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back