Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX ugs_router problem opening files from Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarkus

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2001
CA
My NX prt files are correctly associated to the following command, as confirmed using ftype:

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ftype NXPartfile
NXPartfile="C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX1953\NXBIN\ugs_router.exe" -ug -use_file_dir "%1"

If I try to open from the command line to check that everything is good, substituting a file for the %1, then NX opens, but doesn't load the file:

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>"C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX1953\NXBIN\ugs_router.exe" -ug -use_file_dir "C:\Users\jmarkus\Documents\NewSketcherTrainingJLM.prt"

If I try to open from Windows Explorer (double-click on the prt file, or right click and select open), then I get the error:

Code:
The following error occurred:

C:\Users\jmarkus\Documents\NewSketcherTrainingJLM.prt"e_dir - Invalid argument

Which looks like it is substituting the prt file name before all the arguments (e_dir is the remnant of -user_file_dir).

Can anybody figure out what I need to do?

Thanks,
Jeff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The filetype setting looks correct. I would suggest running a repair of the NX installation (from the Windows Program & Features).
If that doesn't fix it, I would look at updating to a later update for NX1953 (the last was NX1973).

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX9 to NX2008 (11 versions)

Anthony,

I ran a repair from the Windows Program & Features in Control Panel. Unfortunately, it didn't change the behaviour.
I am aware that NX1973 is an update to NX1953, which is what I have, but it still lives in the NX1953 'base' directory.

From the About NX:
Code:
NX Version Information
Version	1973
Part File Compatibility	Saved parts can be opened in 1953 or later
Build	4320

I'm open to other suggestions.
Thanks,
Jeff

Solved!

I searched my Registry and even though the .prt association appears to be correct, there is an entry under

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\UGpartfile\shell\open\command

which had the error:

"C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX1953\NXBIN\ugs_router.exe" -ug -use_file_dir "%1"e_dir "%1"

I guess at some point, something or someone partially overwrote this entry.
I removed the error in bold and now it works!

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back