Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX10 STP 214 name shortened 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaz4172

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2016
US
We use Teamcenter 10 with NX10 to grab assemblies and export for use in Autodesk Inventor 2015. When we do this often we pick STP 203 or 214. I've tried both and get the same results. We have part numbers that have "/" in 2-3 locations and it's causing the file names to become unusable as we would have to rebuild everything with /. About 80% of the assembly structure. I've tried long names and short names and the result is the same...2-4 digits followed by a sequential number to differentiate this 101 from the other 101. Anyone know a work around?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

not that nice workaround but...
If you use the File - Export Assembly outside Teamcenter
* Main tab : Add assembly
* Naming tab: select the Define naming rule,
* Replace Base string /
* Add/Replace/Rename string _

I.e replace all / with _
( when you did this the "export name" in the same tab changed to "name rule")
* Set a default output directory

* Main tab , tick the Dry run, then Execute.
* Close the info window. change the pulldown from "root parts only" to "full"
* press the "report to information window".
* If this is as desired, press the Execute

Now open the exported assembly in a non-managed NX session and export to step 203.

Regards,
Tomas

Thank You! In my focus on exporting the assembly I never saw the "export outside Teamcenter" option. Taking a while to load, but if i can create generic enough rules for naming, that should be what I need.

There were some errors with other names not having the /, so i tried to run it anyway, but now the stp is blank, no bodies, parts, assemblies.

"Now open the exported assembly in a non-managed NX session and export to step 203."

How would one do that?

When you get these naming errors, probably you will see these when you do the dry run,
note that the "true execute" has not happened yet, you can still do changes.
There is a button under the naming tab, "Exceptions" where you can pick the specific component and select a different naming method + apply the name. You can then again do a dry run to see if all names are correct etc. When everything is as expected you run the "execute".

When you have the files on disk . Unless somebody has done a very odd install on your computer, you can simply double click the assembly file and NX will start.

Or, in the Windows start , Siemens NX 10. You can either open the NX session and do as you have done previously , or select the windows -start- Siemens NX10 - translators - Step AP 203 . It will fire up a little dialog which is self explanatory.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back