Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX12 Performance. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiW979

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2007
GB
Has anyone noticed that NX12 seems to be slower when performing simple tasks? things like using the undo function seems to take more time than it should, even on simple models. I've just had an assembly where I performed a "show only" command on component and NX12 took an age to complete the command. I've noticed that even just opening menus isn't as quick as it used to be in earlier versions.

Cheers

Si

Best regards

Simon

NX7.5 NX8.5 NX9 NX10 NX11
NX Consultant

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you refile the parts? Or version up?

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX11 / TC11

Not NX12 in particular, i have noted and grieved that NX has commands which have , over the versions , become ridiculously slow.
Drafting in particular has a number of "grinding" features, to mention a few
Note Label, takes looong time to show that dialog.
"Rapid dimensions " the dialog is not rapid.
In Sketch, ( Modeling and Drafting) editing a automatic dimension such that it becomes a driving dimension,double click, edit value+Enter, no fun.

the worst part is that i don't know what to do about it.
"Enhancement Request : please make the notes label dialog 2 seconds faster." ?
I don't think Siemens will spend much money on that enhancement.

Regards,
Tomas

Regards
Tomas

@Tomas, these grinding operations you mention is this the sort of flickering of the buttons in the dialog box when placing dimensions?

Lars
NX12.0.1.7 native
Solid Edge ST10
Inventor

Lars1978:
No , no flickering that i have noticed, just having to wait for NX to respond/ become ready for me to do my next move.
Example :
Editing an existing sketch dimension, - I have found that the quickest method is not "double click the dimension in the active sketch" ( double click , then that delay occurs , for every dimension to be edited,)
Instead :
when the sketch is active / edit mode, - in the part navigator select the active sketch ( !) the dimensions will then become displayed under "Details" and can be edited there.

Regards,
Tomas

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=61839dac-f486-4ff4-81e0-0093f70466a7&file=editsketch.png
If this is running a certified graphics driver, (?) I think you have a PR.
Not acceptable.

Submit an IR and let us hear what the response is.

Regards,
Tomas

Card is certified. Which driver are you using? The Siemens Certified one is HP NVidea 385.73 Mobile

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

The GTAC guys said i'd had to deinstall the MP1 of NX12.1
That means completely deinstall the NX12 and reinstall all of it....

Sounds like bogus to me. No guaranties that this will work...

Lars
NX12.0.1.7 native
Solid Edge ST10
Inventor

Done a clean install of NX12.0.1 mp2 ... still I get thes wait times as in the movie in the previous post.

What is the way to see why I get these wait times...?

Lars
NX12.0.1.7 native
Solid Edge ST10
Inventor

A maybe stupid question,
does that menu behave the same if the menu is completely outside the graphics window ?
I.e place the menu completely on top of the navigator instead of the graphics window. ( no touch between the graphics and the menu)
Same flickering ?

another stupid question, does your computer run Nvidia Optimus or have you disabled that ?
( we try to disable Optimus on all laptops if possible. We have seen strange behavior when the laptop switches between the graphics adapters.)
- Make sure that NX always runs on the Nvidia graphics and never on the "Intel Graphics ".

Regards
/ Tomas

Toost said:
Make sure that NX always runs on the Nvidia graphics and never on the "Intel Graphics ".
We actually had a similar issue with our laptop workstations. After we disabled the Intel GPU on the processor (using only the Nvidia Card)this behavior was gone.

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Tomas,

Please see the file attached. I think this does not solve my problem.

I also looked into the nvidia setting and have setup the laptop that it only uses his quadro k4100m GPU

If anybody knows someone who can look into this behaviour in depth.... it's much appreciated. Maybe it's some setting as with the antivirus etc.....

Lars
NX12.0.1.7 native
Solid Edge ST10
Inventor

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4c4ee392-ff05-49dd-b939-c063c46f5498&file=Flickering.avi
Yeah that is different behavior indeed.
Check something else. The monitor where you are running NX on, is that the primary monitor? (Display 1) Do you have extra monitors attached to your laptop?
From previous versions I know that NX "doesn't like" to be running on any other monitor than the Primary.
Also, are you using the NVidea nView Desktop Manager? This is known to cause issues with NX.

Try to switch off below settings in your 3D settings for the Graphics card.
3Dsettings_txg0rt.png

In there you will also find the Threaded Optimization. Try turning that off.

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

@NutAce, we have certified Dell laptops that on NX 11 would run just fine, but with NX 12 we sit and wait about 20 seconds while the spinner runs before the command comes up. It seems like it is updating the display (changing part emphasis) for the command. Do you think disabling the the Intel GPU on the processor help with this issue or is it something else? All other settings seem to be the same as you show above?

NX 11.0.1.11 Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back