Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX1982 - Section Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
When we create a section view on product, it is only showing a view of the product section. If you turn off the product, the section disappears.

Is there a way to cut a section where it actually creates curves in the drafting view? So when product is turned off, the section still shows up?

My first guess was to use the SECTION that uses sketcher. Not a fan of using sketcher, as we do not use it here for anything else. But when I tried it, it gave me an error saying the view is created in Pre-NX 8.5 or something like that. Telling me to turn on extracted edges. .... It seems to me a few years back we intentionally switched views to Pre-NX because one of our button programs from GM to label details did not work with extracted edges. So this is not a very good option to switch view types.

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why are you turning OFF the 'product'? If all you want to see is the section curves, I think there's an option to turn OFF the background curves when creating the section view.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-'Product Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

View settings -> configuration -> lock method -> snapshot
This option will keep the view from being updated. The upside is that the view won't disappear when you hide the model. The downside is you have to turn it back on to update the view if/when the model changes.

www.nxjournaling.com

Hey John

The short answer is that I am stuck doing GM things GM's way. lol We do what is called Weld Templates. In the ISO views we load the product, then expand into the view and Extract Edges from all in Work View. Then turn off the product so all of the lines are still showing. ... I dont know why they want it done this way. This is just what I am told we have to do. So on a special case where we need a section, I needed a way to keep the section from turning off when I turn off the product.

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Hi Cowski

That doesnt work. That is only for views created with the "Exact" setting. It is not available with the Pre-NX 8.5 setting.

In the tooling department, they need to use the Pre-NX 8.5 setting. However, it makes me wonder if for Template work, we can get away with the Exact setting. Something to investigate.

Ken

What version are you using? I see NX 1982 in the title now, should have seen that sooner!
I tried it on NX 1919 with the pre-nx8.5 exact views before I posted and it worked as I described.
Edit: I don't have NX 1982 installed, but I do have NX2000 (the latest patch in the 1980 series). In this version, you have to turn on 'extracted edges' first before the lock method becomes available. I had the part loaded fully when I made the section view. After that, I can hide or close the parent part and the section view remains onscreen.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back