Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX3.0.3.2 Taper function

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngMfg1

Aerospace
Dec 9, 2004
US
Hi all

How do you draft a wall from a given point, example: say you have cylinder that is 8.0 in dia. and 5.0 tall and I want to draft 1.0 from the top down of the cylinder wall tapering the wall inward. How do you do this using the [Taper] function with in [Feature Operation] tool bar?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Play around with the vectors. You could draft normal to the face of the cylinder and use the center point as your start point. Depending on the vector, it'll either shoot the draft inward or outward.

Make sure your selection bar is available so you can click on the center point.

Justin Ackley
Designer
jackley@gmail.com

I agree that the chamfer command would be more appropriate for the example you give, but I'm all for learning something new. I'm still on NX2, the underlying command is probably the same but I'm sure there are interface differences.

If you want to taper a face from a point, first you need a point to taper from. The generic case would be picking the bottom corner of a planar face, the picked point will stay associative (for the most part, but a big model change can foul things up). In your example of a cylindrical face 1 inch from the end, you have no existing point to pick. You will have to make your own. Place a point where you want and run through the taper command. I think you will find the results are not what you want. If I read the original post correctly, you want a cylinder with the last inch tapered. What you will end up with is a truncated cone (or full cone depending on taper angle). Why? Because you told it to taper the face - so it tapered the entire cylindrical face. If you want to mimic a chamfer, you will first need to split the face. The split will create an edge, so you might as well use taper from edge.

jackley,
That is quite possible, I think we were typing our responses at the same time (notice the timestamps) so I was not countering anything that you have said; I didn't even see your response until after I had hit 'submit'. We'll have to wait for EngMfg1 to clarify what he was after.

Sorry you guys I was busy trying to get this to work with the suggestion given, and got tied up with something ells, but what I’m trying to do is, just image you have a 3.0 cylinder x 6.0 long in your left hand and from the top of this cylinder down lets say 2.0 you want to start your draft inward at 13deg how would I use the taper function to tell UG taper this wall, but only 2.0 down from the top and to taper inward

Ah, completely different than what I was saying. Chamfer function seems to be your best option (and easiest).

Otherwise you would have to do what cowski said and split surfaces, then split line taper, etc.

Justin Ackley
Designer
jackley@gmail.com

If the example you gave is typical of what you do day to day, then the 'offset angle' chamfer is for you. Pick your edge, specify 2 as the offset and 13 as the angle and if an alternate solution exists specify to keep the chamfer shown or flip it.

If you are looking to learn the taper command, I would suggest extruding a box shape and experimenting with picking different edges and/or points on the box. Hit the help files for split line taper and body taper, they are a bit more involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back