Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nx3 to nx6 - horizontal clearance plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamccrac

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2004
US
i have found that the system doesn't like a horizontal clearance plane, although i'm unsure if this is so or if i'm not applying the clearance correctly. This worked fine in NX3 but intermittently in NX6 ( i've seen it work twice but cannot duplicate again and the paths that did work are now nulled/ungenerated ). the error returned is "...regions ignored... to small to engage..."
i have a pic and sample part for testing.

PMc
CNC Programmer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure the tool axis is set to a vector and set it to the X axis. You should be able to use the face of the part as a clerance plane along the X axis.

John Joyce
Tata Technologies
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO

NX3,4,5,6 Solid Works, Pro/e, Solid Edge

Thanks John for the suggestion... but the tool axis is actually Z+ direction and i don't think my post will allow the X axis as you suggest. I have a work around in place but it is several more clicks and evaluating the toolpath source (toolpath list) to get tangencies so that a straight move in X before engaging and after retracting is achieved. I entered this data in the Start and Return Avoidance. but like i said, this is a lot more than the former Clearance Plane selection (clearance value in YZ plane) in the MCS or toolpath Clearance option. This would be ideal method.

PMc
CNC Programmer

I've found that there is a lot less work in NX6 as far as engage and retract, as well as clearance plane settings. about the only thing I have to change is the ramp settings, and the length of the linear engage. There is a default clearance plane of .5 above the piece, and that works for most of the stuff that I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back