Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX4 --- Remove part history

Status
Not open for further replies.

NXsupport

Computer
Apr 11, 2008
US
Hi...

I have an assembly which has components which has been revised in native to higher revision.. Now when I try to clone and import that into teamcenter , for some weird reasons the system is also picking up the old revision and throws error that it is unable to find those parts ...

Iam using NX4 and 2005SR1..

Is there any ways to remove the part history.. when I do an Information part history, the old revisions also show up in the information window..

Hope Iam clear on what Iam looking for...

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Sorry to respond a little late.. Actually Iam not allowed to use your suggestion..

I guess I will want an utility to erase the revision history of the .prt and save..

Is there anyone who know about this.. Iam sure, you will be involved in data migration into teamcenter NX from native NX..

Is there no one who has faced this problem..

Thanks

Unless someone has hacked together something recently, I'm not aware of any 'external' application that could reach into where you'd have to get in order to remove those data records, and even if such a program existed, I'd be careful using it since that kind of blind hacking could do more harm than could ever be erased by any sort of gain realized from somehow removing the part history information.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

No, I did not mean to imply that it would reset the history, but it sounds like he is using clone when he wants a "save as". I have very limited experience using clone, but my understanding was to use it when you want a copy of the assembly with a few components changed.

The way I understand the OP is to rename the revised parts and have the assembly reference the new parts, which "save as" will take care of nicely.

"Is there any ways to remove the part history"

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - [small]Thomas Jefferson [/small]

"Is there any ways to remove the part history"

Yes, I saw that line but his underlying problem seems to be a part and/or assembly that is picking up the wrong parts. In other words, I think we are solving the wrong problem here. Rather than thinking up ways to remove a part's history, we need to figure out why the clone assembly is still referring to the old parts.

NXsupport,
I could use some clarification, what do you mean by the old part shows up in the part history? If I do a 'save as' on a part then look at the history, it will show a line such as "Part renamed from..."; but that does not mean that it refers to the old part, only that it has been renamed. I am not running NX4, but I don't think the part history will tell you what external files a part refers to? Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this point.

Hi Cowski,

Yes you are right , when you do the "save as" on the part, it says in the part history that the part was renamed from xyz to abc..( keeping very general approach.. please do not go on the naming)...

When I do cloning of an assembly which uses this component, the numbering is kept to USER_Number( which is internally using USER_NAME) , the cloning will shoot an message saying there was no username suppplied for the part xyz( remember xyz is older revision of abc)... This is where the problem starts..This is not allowing me to import complete assembly into the Teamcenter... I cannot use Auto Generate ,because we have some set of naming rules...

Hope my explanation on the problem at hand makes some sense..

Iam wondering if this is a bug in ug_import utility from UGS.. John iam sure of this .. but do you have any idea?

Thanks all for contributing for solving this problem of mine.. hoping for more answers..

Hi Cowski,
The only way that I can think of to remove part history is to:
Create a new part file.
Go to your existing part and do a
File>>Export>>Part
Select Existing Part radio button.
Specify the New Part.
Make all Layers Selectable and Unblank all then Fit.
Set feature parameters to Retain All Parameters.
Set Expression Transfer Mode to Copy If Referenced.
Select Class Selection and Select All
Select Okay

Now the New part has all the geometry and no history.
All WAVE links will be broken, so re-parenting will be required.

Hope this helps

I may be wrong but based on a literal reading of your post I think you have the question wrong if your intent is too fool teamcenter in to accepting an assembly that has in part been created using native file structures.

Teamcenter will ONLY import files properly if those files were created within teamcenter and exported to native from teamcenter in the first place.

The way your problem description reads you're native user is using a higher revision. If he is following what to him appears to be a correct method of re-naming the file in native to a higher revision number then that will be the problem. You can't do that and not even erasing the part history will hel. Instead teamcenter needs to see something in the part file/history that links the file back to a record of its existence in the specific teamcenter database from whence it came.

You can restructure assemblies to your heart's content in native, and teamcenter will faithfully accept the changes if you re-import the data properly using the dialogs as intended. But this is provided that the files used to build up your assembly are all originated from teamcenter, and never renamed. So if you wanted to increement the revision levels you'd have to do so inside teamcenter first, and regardless of what data those files contain you could export them to native, strip them out, import the geometry from the other files and save each one. Then you could import them back into teamcenter.

If there are drawings you're probably screwed.

Sorry if I'm right because it seems bad news for you.

Good Luck

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back