Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX6 Editing Instance Rectangular Array to Add Feature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHilditch

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2010
US
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a way to edit an Instanced Rectangular Array to include an edge blend I added post-array. I have dragged the edge blend in the navigator tree to between the creation of the Instance Feature Pad and the creation of the Rectangular Array, but the edge blends only remain on my first instance and is not coppied by the array. I've tried editing both array and instance, but with no success. I'm recreating the situation on another part to attempt to identify the issue, but if anyone can save me some hair pulling, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Alison

Using NX6

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Prior to NX 8.0 and the introduction of Pattern Feature, you could not include a blend with an Instance Array. However, what you could do was that as you were adding a Blend to one of the instanced features, in the Blend dialog, expand the 'Settings' section and toggle ON the 'Blend All Instances' option and then hit OK. This will add a blend to every member of the Instance Array.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

In some cases one can "trick" the instance to include edge blends and other types which normally aren't selectable. ( such as freeform objects)
The trick is to include the blend in a group, then in the instance select the group instead of the ....

Regards,
Tomas

Thanks John and Tomas!

The 'blend all instances' did the trick! Prior to that solution and using a test part, I managed to fannaggle the instance and the edge blend into a group and then arrayed the group. That worked nicely, but I couldn't apply that process to the actual project without deleting the initial array, which would destroy all of the following edits. I'm a Solidworks user working on my NX skills and some days I wish I could just smash the programs together and have the best of both worlds.

Thanks again for your speedy responses!

-Alison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back