NX6 part attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty239

Automotive
Jan 4, 2007
CN
Hi everyone
Running nx6 we use a smart part file for punches and buttons. they have a length, a diameter, a P dimension and a W dimension in the expressions. I have a part attribute called CODE is there anyway to have all those expression values show up in the value line of the attribute.
I want CODE = length diameter P dimension W dimension all of this as one attribute that updates as the expression changes. I know I can do this in NX 8 but I am stuck in NX 6 for the time being

thanks for any help you can give

Smitty

Smitty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not trying to hijack the thread, but on a closely related topic, which of the two methods is prefered. In a part family, defining this type of attribute in the family spreadsheet or in an expression? Both have merits and drawbacks.

John, I love reading your replies, they give a lot of insight into how things work. Thanks in advance.

In the case of a Family Table Part, I would definitely go the Spreadsheet route since it's direct and does not require the use of any special 'functions' nor format statements, at least through NX 7.5. Starting with NX 8.0, since we have made significant improvements in the linking, IN BOTH DIRECTIONS, of attributes and expressions, this might not always be the case, but I suspect that considering how Family Table Parts are used and what their 'output' is, that is 'READ-ONLY' children parts, I would probably still go with defining ALL partchild-specific Part Attributes using the Spreadsheet. Only those attributes which would be common to all Part Family Members would I use the new expression linking functions if that was needed.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

While there are many immensly qualified contributors to this forum, John is pretty much the Yoda of the bunch! We'll miss him when (if) he takes retirement. If you haven't had the chance, try to attend a user group meeting that he will be at.

“Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”
-Dalai Lama XIV

Not to boost my own ego [atom] but if anyone is interested in seeing one of my upcoming 'What's New in NX' presentations, I will be attending ALL but one (the St. Louis meeting) of the Regional User Group meetings planned for this Fall around the country.

For a complete list of these meetings, go to...

...and for details, click on the 'More Information' button next to the meeting dates.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John
thanks that is exactly what I am looking for. As for Multi's question this way is extremely good for an automotive pierce punch and die. because each piercing diameter is unique to the part it is creating you can't just use a locked part family member. I also have the employee problem where they would change the expression but not update the attribute causing the BOM to be incorrect this will eliminate that problem. I know eliminate the employee right LOL. Thanks for all the help

Smitty

Smitty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back