Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX7.5 export/import from spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadrebel

Mechanical
May 11, 2011
US
I am running NX7.5 I have exported my model tree to a spreadsheet before, made changes to it, saved it in excel, and when I close excel it would update my model tree.

For some reason now I can still export to spreadsheet, make changes, save excel, but now it does not update my model tree.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you update your excel lately? Keep in mind that NX7.5 might have issues with newer Excel versions.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

I am running Excel 2013. That is a good question, it appears that my Excel has had 10 automatic updates just in 2019

Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully I can revert back to the beginning of the year and see if that helps me.

greg

I just did some checking and my Excel updates is from October 2016. I have used this feature since then so I think I have something else going on.

any other suggestions would be appreciated.

In the options from Excel, check the add-ins. It might be that the UG add-in has been disabled.

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Thanks but that didn't work either. It shows that the add-in is called for. I found it in the directory just to make sure it wasn't lost somewhere.

Interesting find though, if I go to tools/spreadsheet it brings up a blank excel sheet. When I cancel out of it there is a dialog box that pops up asking if I want to save the current spreadsheet data.

That is the dialog box I am missing when I export to spreadsheet and exit excel.

Why would it come up for the blank spreadsheet but not the one that I made changes to.

Try and clear your user Temp directory. In the Windows explorer bar type %Temp% and enter. This will bring you to your Temporary Dir.
Delete everything in there. Best would be to first close NX and Excel to release any used files.

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Still no go. Did get rid of 142 temp files though !

I noticed that the spreadsheet that works is "spreadsheet in modeling" and the one that does not work is "spreadsheet in part navigator"

Does that help any?

thanks for all your help, please keep it coming.

"spreadsheet in part Navigator" I have never seen.
You are in modeling application? How do you activate this spreadsheet? Through the tools menu?

Edit... I found out what you did wrong :)
You opened the spreadsheet using the right click "in context" menu in the part navigator (that one is just exporting the information to a spreadsheet without any connection). You should use the Spreadsheet function from the Tools menu instead...

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

how do I get it to populate? I assign properties to each of my bodies. When I do it from the part navigator I will have all my BOM info in that spreadsheet. It used to work this way but for some reason it doesn't like me anymore.

When I do it from the tools menu I get a blank sheet. Is there a way to get that info from my body list?

FYI, I do not have assemblies, I only have bodies. It is not like everyone else does but it works very well for my application.

I tried it on my other workstation and have the same problem. This machine is running Excel 2013 and the other one is 2010.

Has me most confused. I don't use it very often but when I do it is very handy. I have a customer now that would like me to put their tool number in front of my body names so I wanted to change that tool number globally when I use the file for another mold.

When I export my files to my customers via x_t my body names come through the translation for them to sort easy.

I bet you are on to something here.

In my 2d I have a BOM that is a tabular note.

In my 3d I would export my bodies to a spreadsheet and make an external excel BOM.

Now that you bring it up, I bet my 2d tabular note that looks to me like a spreadsheet in excel was the one that updated and my 3d spreadsheet was just exporting my body info for me but not bringing it back.

As memory serves me I would be frustrated that sometimes it worked well and other times it didn't. This is all making sense now. My 2d worked and my 3d did not and I looked at them as being the same.

I really appreciate you guys spending time helping me with this.

My dad always said "it's not a disgrace to be old but it sure can be inconvenient."

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back