Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX8.5 - Divide Face Fixed Distance From Surface Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvan794

Aerospace
Jun 23, 2015
US
Hi all,

I have a question pertaining to the divide face command -- well really the question is in regards to generating the appropriate boundary with which to divide the face.

The subject part I am modeling is a surface representing the upper skin of a composite turbine blade. I generated the surface using the through curves function with a dozen or so sections, where the sections are all in parallel planes. The sections are all fit curve splines each based on groups of points imported from files. I am seeking to divide this surface along a curve that lies at a fixed arc-length measured from a given edge of each of the section curves.

Currently each section is modeled with a single fit curve; however, one method I have considered is using the divide curve (edit>curve>divide>type=by-arc-length-segment) command to split the splines at the desired arc length. After dividing each section, I could then perform the through curves and obtain the surface with the divided face I am seeking. The problem with this, is that I want to be able to leave the arc-length as a variable and be able to adjust this later on. As far as I understand, the divide curve command does not permit me to do so.

I have noted the command insert>curve-from-bodies>isoparametric-curve, and this is close to what I am trying to do, except using arc length.

If anyone has any suggestion or advice it would be much appreciated,

Best regards,

-William

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back