Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX9

Status
Not open for further replies.

helperug

Dec 10, 2011
DE
Hi, experts,
I'm experimentating with nx9 - I've ssen a white titlebar in one of the promotion videos.
How can get the titlebar, background color to something other color then black?

sorry new in NX
regards
Erwin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is what we call the new 'PL Theme' presentation and will be the default appearance when you install NX 9.0.1.

So that people understand what helperug is commenting on, here is what the original NX 9.0 'classic theme' looked like:

NX90OldTheme_zpsd534b23e.png

And this is what the new NX 9.0.1 'PL Theme' looks like:

NX90NewPLTheme_zps5cfd7fc8.png

This new 'PL Theme' will be the basis for the appearance of all future products coming from Siemens PLM Software and as such is based on a more modern and fresher look. Some of the concepts incorporated here is to give the interface a brighter, easier to read look as well as to comply better with Siemens corporate guidelines such as the inclusion of an approved version of the 'Siemens' logo (which states that it must be of the proper color and font imposed on a white background).

And the reason that you're already seeing this new presentation in promotional material is because we've been directed to only use this 'theme' when creating new images for collateral and for any sort of Internet publication. Also, all public demos must now be done using the new 'PL Theme', which means that our people must use pre-release versions of NX 9.0.1 for their demos (which I've been doing for the last several weeks at the Regional User Meetings currently being held around the country).

Anyway, we're glad to see that people are actually noticing the difference.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi..

To be honest..I don't like that new look at all...

In our "NX Implementation" project we had a survey about the background color to be used when in Modeling and Drafting.
Some of our IDEAS users (for which the project was created) would like to have a "What you see is what you get" look and feel.
In short ....they wanted their engineering environment to look like the paper sheet of a printed drawing.( white background with colored lines ).
To accomplish this we would have to come up with a color-scheme which would show all lines correctly on a white background ( so no light colors like yellow ).

The survey turned out that 95% of our current NX engineers prefered to use the black or graduated backgrounds as they were easier on the eyes.
Having to look at a white background all day would not be tiresome for your eyes.

Looking at this I would certainly not go for the white theme which is now implemented...
In my opinion Siemens should be concentrating on usability of their NX interface instead of Promotional activities.
Changing to complete look and feel of the UI to accommodate the white background of a logo which I don't notice anyway because my focus is on my model on my screen, is a bad decision.
Luckily, as it seems, we will still be able to change the theme back to the original soft grey theme...

Ronald van den Broek
Mechanical Engineer
Cad Environment Coordinator
Wärtsilä, Propulsion Services
NX8.5.2 / TC9.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

When I was talking about a "brighter, easier to read look" and a "white background", I was NOT referring to the 'graphics window' (where the NX model is shown) but rather where the icons and menus are displayed. Users will still have complete control over the background color, graduated or otherwise, of the 'graphics window' just like they've always been able to do. Nothing has changed with respect to that aspect of using NX, as shown below:

NX90NewPLThemedark_zps0a9ca39a.png

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

thank you John on reply,
the ribbon is not really enhancing the usability - OR ? give ne some examples
The classic ui is or ok - but it is modern a fresher look, I agree.

sorry new in NX
regards
Erwin

It looks a lot better in the current black and gray.
The future one looks like Creo, insipid and not inspiring.

Perhaps keeping the neutral grey as background of the icons, but with a tiny bit of turquoise to obtain the desired contrast would be more pleasant.

Hi John....

Should have put it in better writing....
Of course I didn't mean that the graphics window was changed.
The survey was just an example that , in general, Engineers don't like to work with white backgrounds. At least at our company we don't.
So my point was that a brighter look isn't always better..I would prefer a more softer look instead.

Ronald van den Broek
Mechanical Engineer
NX8.5.2 / TC9.1.2

I agree with Ronald. I change the settings in all my applications so the backgrounds are like a pale tan. With the normal white background it feels like my eyes are burning, same thing happens if I try to read off of pure white paper in midday sun.

One thing that you have to keep in mind, Siemens PLM Software needs to continue to attract new customers, not just additional seats from existing customers, in order to remain a viable and successful technology vendor, so it's critical that our products are seen to be new and fresh looking as well as usable and productive. That being said, users will have the option to go to Preferences -> User Interface and change the 'Theme' back to what is called 'Classic'. After all, how do you think it was that I was able to get that very first picture that I posted in this thread since that's a screen shot of NX 9.0.1? Just that the OOTB 'Theme' will be the new lighter, fresher appearing one.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

JohnRBaker said:
After all, how do you think it was that I was able to get that very first picture that I posted in this thread since that's a screen shot of NX 9.0.1? Just that the OOTB 'Theme' will be the new lighter, fresher appearing one.

That's what I said John.. [2thumbsup]

nutace said:
Luckily, as it seems, we will still be able to change the theme back to the original soft grey theme...

Ronald van den Broek
Mechanical Engineer
NX8.5.2 / TC9.1.2

I use 'Photobucket' as my image server. Perhaps your company has it blocked (anyone else not able to see my images?). Just incase there is no way to see the images, I've attached a zip file with the 3 images that I've used in this thread.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7512c463-f611-4473-acd8-6b86850ef1f9&file=NX_9.0_and_9.0.1_themes.zip
@ John..

I can see them just fine...

Ronald van den Broek
Mechanical Engineer
NX8.5.2 / TC9.1.2

Thanks John, I like the new PL theme it's a lot more cheery than the "grey" toolbar area.

Also see you've found a "visbility" toolbar which looks pretty handy, some more playing around for me later I think.
A lot of playing around in fact, I have a lot to learn!

I've attached a screenshot of what I see when you attach images in here, my guess is we probably do have photobucket blocked.

NX 7.5 with TC 8.3

Yes, I've heard of places that have blocked PhotoBucket, why is beyond me.

As for the 'Visibilty' tab (Ribbon), that's one that I created myself using the Customize function. I use it to collect all of the functions which effects what and how something is seen, such as Layer Control, Hide/Show functions, See-Thru mode, Background display, etc.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Confirmed, I can view your pictures just fine from home!

It's a custom toolbar I see, I'm trying to avoid too much customising (for now) so I can experience NX9 as a "normal" Engineer.
I have found the view and utility commands available in top border bar, so I'll have a go with those. Selection now on the bottom border bar as it got a bit cluttered.

Have made a few changes to the view radial, including display constraints on and off in sketcher, as I'm finding it a bit tricky to select curves and points with the constraints displayed - anyone else finding this or am I just useless?

No more for now, time to get on with using NX9 in anger.

Regards, Carl

NX 7.5 with TC 8.3

Hi, Just started to prepare first material about NX9 to my company

John, when will 9.0.1 or next public version be available?

If I should Postpone a little or recreate my material later with new version...

what other goodies are there in the next one?

-NH

Nham: The current plan is to release NX 9.0.1 near the end of Janaury/first part of February.

Cubalibre00: Not sure what you mean by 'RTB'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back