Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nylon/Barium Sulfate composites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

polymer2006

Materials
Sep 12, 2006
US
Anyone has the experince to compound nylon with 70% barium sulfate in a twin extruder?

Please share me with your experince, such as blending issue, additives including coupling agent, processing aid.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Want to add some background like why you want to make such a composite. My first guess would be you are adding the BaSO4 for it's high density. In that case I would suggest you might also try magnetite as it gives a higher density (see the MagniF product at I am pretty sure they already have published data for magnetite in nylon.

As for the BaSO4, I understand it's an inert filler and no special additives are needed to process it. I would try it in nylon with no additives first.

There is not any memory with less satisfaction than the memory of some temptation we resisted.
- James Branch Cabell

If you have a feed problem with the BaSO4 powder and nylon granules, you might get a better feed with a powdered nylon to disperse the BaSO4 before feeding.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Demon3 and Pat:

Thanks. I can not use Iron oxide due to its black color. Like Pat said, it's better to use nylon powder because of their huge density difference.

Let's see how it is going.

Often filler is added by side feeding into the polymer melt (not in the main hopper). That helps to reduce wear. You might try that. Or for very high loadings of filler you can add some in the main hopper and then the rest into the melt.

There is not any memory with less satisfaction than the memory of some temptation we resisted.
- James Branch Cabell

We used a Farrell Continuous Mixer, jacketed and cored rotors, to feed a single screw extruder when we had that required a high percentage of mineral additive in nylon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back