Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nylon LP-410

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlightlyConfused

Aerospace
Oct 29, 2015
US
So I dont know much about Nylon and how it machines, but I'm curious if there should be any expected growth in the material after manufacture. I have worked with plastics where up to .002" growth is possible. Anyone have any insight?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is a really broad spec covering many grades of nylon so the results will also be all over the place. Nylon 6 and 6/6 filled and unfilled are all in there. Those nylons will absorb water so if the water content either increases or decreased due to your processing the size will change.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I've had nylon parts shrink due to post mold crystallization. The parts were measured immediately after molding (i.e, "dry as molded", DAM) and they were smaller in every dimension after sitting on my bookshelf for a couple months over winter.

Rick Fischer
Principal Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory

Those must have been unfilled nylons. Glass fiber fill will greatly improve stability.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back