Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OBDII programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

icrman

Automotive
Oct 16, 2004
US
Are there any available to use PC's, to interface with the ECM, that will do everything from reading codes, and live data, freeze frames to altering functions ie. operating such things as ICS motors, fan, ignition timing, pulse width of injectors, egr etc.
I did the search deal on here and got nothing. And did the google thing, and see allot of just "readers". Sure would appreciate some ideas. And thanks ahead of time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There maybe is but probably not as you are thinking. The manufacturers of the microprocessor that runs the ECU usually provide a development package. This usually includes an ICE which in this case stands for "in circuit emulator". The problem that you will encounter with the higher speed processors is that a the ICE does not run in real time. They also can be quite expensive. To run in real time you would have to program a new processor chip each time you make a change using an electrically programmable processor which again can be quite expensive and time consuming.

Ccycle is on the right track, but a development system usually consists of two EEPROMS - one contains the strategy, ie the program, the other contains the data tables such as the spark advance tables.

The latter chip can be replaced by a suitable PC, allowing you to recalibrate the engine while it is running. There's no particular reason why the strategy chip couldn't be emulated, but when I was doing calibration it was not done that way.

Of course modern laptops are much faster now, and I don't get the impression that clock speeds on engine management computers have increased at the same rate. So if it wasn't practical 10 years ago it might well be now.

However, the OEM gets no advantage from letting end users poke around in the chips, so why would they make it easy to modify the strategy or the calibration?

I doubt you'd be able to overwrite the built in processor using the OBDII, but you can certainly use it to read stuff.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back