Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Object Display transparency by expression 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmiscool

Electrical
Sep 14, 2012
US
I am looking to set the transparency % of a sold by modifying an expression.

Has anyone done this before?

nx 9, TC 10

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only possible way that I suspect that this could be done would be by using KF (Knowledge Fusion) to gain access to that setting in a model. I know that you can control the color of a body using an Expression through the use of KF and so I suspect that you might be able to do something similar with translucency as well. That being said, I just checked and while I can inherit a Body into KF and while I can find the KF Color attribute I can't find one for Translucency. I also checked teh KF attributes for a Face and again, while I did find one for Color I didn't for Translucency, so it would seem that KF's not going to do teh trick either. That was my only suggestion. Sorry.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

How did you get a 'Translucency' attribute added to the 'root'? Your video doesn't show that part of your workflow.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

OK, I see where it came from. Thank you. BTW. when you were going thru that long list of 'functions', you could have just entered "translucent" in the 'Find' field and it would saved you all that scrolling.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

It would be simple to have a small NX/Open program read the expression value and set the translucency of the object(s). The only problem is that you would then need some way to trigger the execution of the NX/Open code. That's one benefit of KF -- it's fairly easy/natural to get KF code to run whenever it needs to, without you having to tell it.

So, as always, it depends what you're trying to do. If users are supposed to change some expression value to modify translucency, then it would be easier to have them interact with some little NX/Open program, instead. But if the translucency changes are all supposed to be automated/hidden/magic, then expressions and KF might be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back